Thread: Angust - Land of the Runemasters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected Kuragiman's Avatar

Wip Angust - Land of the Runemasters

Hey everyone! I am getting the hang of this mapping madness and loving it! I worked about 5 hours today on my latest map; The Rebel Kingdom of Angust. The Dwarves ended up settling this place after all the world's problems died down and there were not many humans left to say you couldn't move in. In the last 900 years you can see their handy work from orbit on the 52000 foot mountain known as the Questhold Mountains. Can you spot which mountains they are tearing up? ^_^ I will hopefully have this done by Saturday!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angust-WIP1.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	40438

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks great - I sense a pasis tutorial as a base for this ... the northern forest have a very blurry middle, but otherwise it looks great and love the great mountain
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    looks great - I sense a pasis tutorial as a base for this ... the northern forest have a very blurry middle, but otherwise it looks great and love the great mountain
    Oh yeah! Pasis style is the PERFECT fit for my needs. That level of of realism is what I have always wanted to achieve so I am all over that. I am utilizing his and another one to do the water. They work well together.

The blurry forest is not done. The only area that has extensive work done to it is around the Questhold Mountains on the western portion of the map. Everything east of the Deeping Valley is just raw blocked in terrain that needs a lot of love over the next several days.

Hopefully one day I can break out a bit and find my own style but for now I am most content with this style of mapping.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

my own first digital map (Mountain Realms) was also done in this style, so I fully get you
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Since I was home sick all day I did some more work on Angust. Here is the latest. Almost time to start dropping cities, villages and roads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angust-WIP2.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	454.7 KB 
ID:	40461

Okay, does anybody else ever try to move a picture up and down with the slider that's part of the screen-capture? Sometimes I'm REALLY glad nobody's watching over my shoulder :-).

This is looking nice, Kuragiman. This mountain-generation method does a more realistic job than lots of others, and thank you for running some forests at least a ways up their foothills. Yessir, those dwarves are doing some serious stripmining there. If the tallest is Ten Miles ! high, is that originally, or after they've done a lot of rockhacking already? Do they use oxygen when working at peak level, or is the sort of collapsed looking terrain where they've dug out beneath and toppled mountains?

I see in the time you took from one version to the next, their northeastern cousins dug deep enough to hit magma. Hope they got out all right....

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Okay, does anybody else ever try to move a picture up and down with the slider that's part of the screen-capture? Sometimes I'm REALLY glad nobody's watching over my shoulder :-).

This is looking nice, Kuragiman. This mountain-generation method does a more realistic job than lots of others, and thank you for running some forests at least a ways up their foothills. Yessir, those dwarves are doing some serious stripmining there. If the tallest is Ten Miles ! high, is that originally, or after they've done a lot of rockhacking already? Do they use oxygen when working at peak level, or is the sort of collapsed looking terrain where they've dug out beneath and toppled mountains?

I see in the time you took from one version to the next, their northeastern cousins dug deep enough to hit magma. Hope they got out all right....
    The dwarves are like termites. They have been eating the mountain from the inside out and collapsing it down to get to the next level though some of them are able to do high altitude work thanks to the gnomes that share their mountain home because in my world gnomes are so few they don't have their own kingdom so they just hang with any race that they can benefit from. Dwarves dig on their tech and gnomes like the protection and work opportunities the dwarves provide. As for the 25 mile wide smoking crater in the far east of the map... that use to be a city in the heart of beautiful forest. This is what happens when you have a little magic accident because things got out of hand. Minus one city now and hundreds of miles of damage to the forest. Nothing grows there now. It's just cracked dry soil and fissures miles long and deep. Not a place to go partying anymore. It is cursed.