Thread: Devou Park

Wip Devou Park

Here is a map I'm doing in the same style as my last two. It's a local city park where I run the bike trails, comments welcome. Lots more tree/forest to add as well as labels.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DevouPark1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	84161

Looks fabulous.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Looks great but the railway looks HUGE.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

It's obviously good! My only nitpick is about the forests. They seem to float over the rest and need the shadowing of the terrain, imho.

Looks fab. I continue to be impressed by the way you draw cliffs/heights.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for the comments, it's alway great to get good critiques.

(larb) I've reduced the Railroad size, may still be a little large but better.
    (arsheesh) I've put the forest under the shadow layer and added both highlights and shadows to them as well.
    (chick pea) This one I actually started with the TOPO lines from USGS ---- next one, I'm going to try to start with TOPO and HILLSHADE to see if that might help and maybe speed up the process?.

I've dipped the Hilltop Green Layer and Cliff layers and added a subtle pattern to them, so they don't appear so flat - I may go in and grunge it up a bit in places as well.

Most labels are in, debating whether to add road labels, maybe just for the main ones and the ones that cut through the park.

Maybe a couple more hours cleaning it up and then present to the Park Board. (not a commission, yet?, doing this as a little backward approach.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DevouPark2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	84213

I's looking much better, nice improvements! Not much to say, it's excellent .

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

WOW...that is dedication to mapping.
    I must say far more detailed than my Simplistic approach to Mapping.

Love seeing everyone's approach to mapping. I may be one of the few that still enjoying less detailed simple maps when it comes to mapping.
    But that does not mean I still don't love looking at master pieces.
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Thanks Jpstod, yeah a little anal. I do need to simplify or find ways to expedite the process if I'm ever to do commissions, not many would pay for the time these take. Roughly 40-50 hours at a standard rate of $40 an hour would be $1600-$2000, and you see people wanted maps for a couple hundred at most. So I do these for my own enjoyment (torture).

I'm pretty much done, added the bridges and their shadows, individual trees, thickened the one forest and added a little more shadowing, could go on, probably should have some highlights. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DevouPark3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	84272

Guild Novice

As someone who lived in the area for 21 years I can say without exception that this is an excellent rendering of not only the park but of the area around the town. This is park has always been one of the favorites of the locals on both sides of the Ohio River. Snodsy you have done a great job.