Thread: WIP: Shalbaan

Wip WIP: Shalbaan

I'm new to the forum and new to mapmaking, so hello! I wanted to share a WIP of my first "real" city map, and ask for feedback and opinions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shalbaan3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	84352

Most of the buildings you see are just basic shapes from an older draft; I'm hoping to redo most of the buildings so that they look a bit nicer (see lower right corner)...

My main problem at the moment is the "window pane" on the left, which is meant to show an underground view of the cave complex beneath the city (a Dwarven district, of sorts). Rather than appearing flat, the image inside the pane appears to be bending or folding over onto itself (some trick of the eye involving perspective). I have no real artistic training, so I'm not sure how to correct this and would appreciate feedback. Maybe it's a problem that will correct itself as I populate that area with more features..

Thanks for any advice or critique people want to share.
    Last edited by saltyfish; 06-10-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Honestly, I don't really see the problem with the inset (a texture-related thing, maybe?)... You have a very good start, imho.

Really great start! I like the layout of the town a lot.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Thanks!

I've showed the town to a friend, and he also says he sees no problem with the inset area, so I guess it's just my eyes. :p
    Look forward to sharing my progress with you all.

Sometimes when I look at my maps to long I start seeing problems that noone else sees. I guess that's what you experience now as well. This is looking great so far, I like the underground complex. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Great start so far!!