Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December Entry: Most 'Excel'-lent!

Going to have some perspective issues to make the tiles lay out on the Master Grid properly. But...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Excel-Terrain-1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	40501

2 different layers, 1 water, 1 surface land, overlaid in Photoshop. *dances with glee*

After the perspective issues are solved, I can start laying out the interior caverns and carve a hole in the surface layer for the entrance.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 12-09-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice to see that abomination of a program (can you tell I hate it ) turn out to be good for something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

For some reason, I like Excel, and am rather good at it. *shrug* To each their own, I suppose.

At any rate, it is the tiling and layers that is the stumbling block now, but I think I know how to get around it. It's just a matter of finding and applying the time needed to fix it. Although, come to think of it... all I'm getting done so far is just the exterior. I haven't even started on the actual lair itself yet. *facepalm+sigh*

The overall geological concept is that this is a series of caverns in a cliff. At the top of the cliffs is a sinkhole where water has been draining down into the ground, carving these caverns. As the water fell from above, it deepened the vertical channel, and then water run-off carved horizontal tunnels on it's way out to the cliffside and then down. Periodically, the vertical channel would get enough deeper than the horizontal channel that it would find a weak spot and start carving a new outlet horizontal tunnel. When the new tunnel opened up enough, the old tunnel was no longer draining any water, and would remain mostly dry. I am planning on 3 tunnels. 2 upper dry tunnels, probably linking up before they exit to the cliffside, and 1 lower, water-filled tunnel, where the waterfall currently drains out of. All three tunnels open onto the waterfall's vertical channel.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Current Overview Map:
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview1.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	40600

What we have here is a 4x5 grid of map tiles, laid out in roughly the right positions. The Cliff section is repeated 3 times, with the 3 different color scales: Beach, Cliff, & Cap. I have not yet built the Sinkhole color scheme, so it is not shown here. Depending on time, I may or may not carve a stream leading to the sinkhole that provides the waterfall that did all the cavern carving.

After the sinkhole coloration, I really need to get started on plotting out the caverns and waterfall. But I needed to do this- the 'easy' part- first to learn the tricks I'd need to do the harder portion of the map.

Note: The water at the bottom will lay over the beach just above it. Also, the image is so shrunk you lose some of the details of the terrain, unfortunately. Final version will fix that, at least.
    Last edited by Master TMO; 12-13-2011 at 01:51 PM.

------

A week at Disney World will wreak havoc on one's energy and time to spend on mapping.

------

Hope you have time and strength to finish.

Me too. For some reason, I seem to have hit a block on doing the actual lair itself. *sigh* Only a few days left, hope I can get something out there...

------

I'm not going to make it, I'm afraid. I have side-stepped the mental block part of the work I think, but just don't have enough time left to get it completed while still on vacation.

I will see if I can finish it up this next month and post it as an interesting oddball one-shot map. "One-shot" meaning: "Hell no, I'm not going to try this stunt again!"

------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12