Thread: member made map zoom software

Default member made map zoom software

Hi. I haven't been on the forum for a year or so, but I remember there was a member of this forum that made this really cool map zooming program where if you zoomed in close enough on an area of a map it would show another more detailed map within the larger map, and you could really zoom a long ways. They had a Youtube video of it as well. Problem is I don't remember the name of the it. What is the name of that program?
    Some useful cartography facts:
    Circumference (C) of the Earth is about 25,000 miles or 40,000 km.
    Highest point on Earth is 5.5 miles (8.9 km) above sea level (ASL/BSL).
    Lowest point of land on Earth is 1/4 mile (0.4 km) BSL.
    Lowest elevation in the ocean is 6.8 miles (10.9 km) BSL.

And our solar system:
    C of Jupiter = 279,118 miles (449,197 km).
    Highest mountain is Olympus Mons on Mars. It is 16 miles high (24 km) and is the size of Arizona.

Blog Entries

Was it ViewingDale by RedRobes? http://www.viewingdale.com/

Blog Entries

I'm still about (tho well busy at the mo) but if you want to ask any questions then id be happy to answer anything about it.

In the interests of being a bit impartial, there are several apps about that do this and many ways of getting some web pages using various flash or silverlight or whatever extensions to do much the same thing. But I think mine is better equipped to handle the editing and building of it since it does not use a fixed set of tiles in a grid and all the image sources do not have to be pushed through a gigantic process to spit out a complete set of tile layers before you can use it. Each item is individually editable and those edits can be transmitted over the net in real time as a VTT to other people / players / or to its web server interface. Also, you can add text, docs, pics, web links and videos etc to the map as well so its more dynamic than just a zoomable canvas. Anyway, there is a free demo of it but the demo map is kinda basic - too basic really to show what it can do.

There's various movies around on this site to show it but the you tube one showing this guilds CWBP map project in it is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELcbKXdRm8
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-08-2011 at 06:51 AM.