Thread: Perspective Software

Default Perspective Software

Hi all,
    Not strictly a mapping question, but as this is the only art site I'm a member of...

I'd like to try my hand at drawing/painting interior and exterior perspective pictures of some of the buildings I've created floor plans for, but I'm crap at artwork - can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

What I could do with is some software that will help me to get perspectives right - something that traces in perspective lines, allows me to measure lengths, widths, heights, place my Eye Position, etc. Something that will allow me to place a pair of columns 20 feet high, 40 feet in front of me and ten feet to the left and 8 feet to the right of me.
    Or draw a round tower, 30ft dia and 80 ft tall, 60 yards away up a 10 degree incline 15 feet above ground level...

But... I probably still won't be any good at it and I don't want to spend silly money on something I may have to throw out. Free would be good.
    (Not much point installing a full church organ in my house if all I can play is Chopsticks...)

Can anyone recommend something that might help me get started? I have Gimp and Inkscape, but I don't see how I can plug numbers into those.

Thanks.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Sounds like what you need is Sketchup.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Its not free but ProFantasy has the Perspectives CC3 Add-On. I haven't used it myself (I don't do perspective maps)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Midgard... Sketchup sounds like just what you need, its by google and free (at leasts the basic version is)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Three thumbs up for Sketchup already. I use it myself.

Thanks guys,
    Looks like I'll be installing Sketchup shortly.
    I bought Profantasy some years back, not sure if Perspectives was in the bundle, but I could never figure out how it worked. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

CC2 Perspectives does have the capability to produce some excellent artwork, and is much easier to use than creating/importing 3D models to produce a Sketchup scene.