Thread: Getting my feet wet (again)...

Wip Getting my feet wet (again)...

This was something I was just playing with - a little test in textures and experimenting - getting back into the map making game gently, hehe.

I can do better with the water, but what do you think as it is? I wanted to play with the water, and with some hole/crack ideas, etc.

Last edited by weem; 03-15-2008 at 01:57 AM.
    Mike Weem

I agree. I am a BIG fan of the watercolor filter (although this may be crosshatch strokes or such, too?), so you got my vote on that one, but the map tiles, the circles of the columns, and other elements are repetitious & "perfect", with patterns jumping out. So as a result that offsets the slightly unrefined look of a watercolor image, making this appear to be a computer-generated image with a watercolor filter run over it. Ironically, because of this the only jagged image (the crack/hole) sticks out as incorrect.

I would go back to the pre-filtered drawing and add imprefections and color variations, then run the filter again. I'll bet that will fix this issue entirely, leaving you with an awesome map!

Thanks for posting this. Great job.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks guys, feedback much appreciated

Yea, watercolor effect as well as a few others were used for the water.

I agree on all points mentioned above - these WIP pieces are being thrown together quickly to get a better feel for the process I will be using (it's been a while), sizing, etc. Now, I can start to get down to the details.

Thanks again,
    Mike Weem