Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Wyrm Sign

Default December Entry: Wyrm Sign

OK, I'm giving this a go, as your typical fantasy dragon's lair in a cavern - this one alongside a lake in a cliff-face. As I said I would, this time I'm going for a photorealistic look, but still using Xara Xtreme Pro to create those cool bevels that it does, along with feathering, fractal cloud transparency layers, etc.

So far this is the cavern layout, along with some ground detritus - boulders, gravel and such.

I plan to place some structures near the cavern entrance - a sacraficial pillory for princesses to be chained upon. Perhaps I will place some burnt skeletons of failed knights and their charges. Also there will be a treasure pile in that furthest chamber back, the actual dragon's lair within. You'll note some elevation changes within - caverns are hardly ever flat-bottomed.

When I'm done I plan to place a grid, so this can more easily be used in game.

There's a few anamolies I see in the rock walls - some cuts that don't belong, I will fix those before I move on...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragons-lair.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1,005.8 KB 
ID:	40484
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-08-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice map, This looks like it will be a very good map to play on. I also like the wall bevels.

If you are going to add a grid at the end, can you also post a final version without the grid?

Sure thing Bogie - right now the map is just shy of 24" x 36" at 100 ppi, which should be usable for VT applications - I'm assuming that's why you don't want the grid. I could even save the rocks and walls as a 'wall' layer, separate from everything beneath, so you could load the that as the floor, place a grid on it, and place the walls above the grid. Not sure if your VT allows that or not.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Love the water. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    M

Yeah, Maptools can do all of that, but I just prefer no grids. I think the maps look better without them and I play old school 2nd ED and don't need them. If I do need to have a grid on a map I'm making, I try to make it as subtle as I can. Of course, that's just my preference, I know many people use the grids. So, make the map the way you want it to look, and if there happens to be a map with no grid as well, then I will be a happy mapper!

Thanks Mearrin69! When I do photorealistic, I love doing water, one of my favorite subjects.

Some more detail. I added lots of rock piles, more gravel, a few skeletons, more stuff underwater, and the treasure hoard. Will do more tomorrow.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dragons-lair-more.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	40488
    DrivethruRPG store

That's a really nice map GP. Does it take a lot of time to do a map like that? It just seems to me like it would be very hard to do (I don't know how to do one like that myself )

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Yeah, Maptools can do all of that, but I just prefer no grids. I think the maps look better without them and I play old school 2nd ED and don't need them. If I do need to have a grid on a map I'm making, I try to make it as subtle as I can. Of course, that's just my preference, I know many people use the grids. So, make the map the way you want it to look, and if there happens to be a map with no grid as well, then I will be a happy mapper!
    Yay! Another gridless player!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    That's a really nice map GP. Does it take a lot of time to do a map like that? It just seems to me like it would be very hard to do (I don't know how to do one like that myself )
    Lukc - ask any of the oldies here at the Guild - I'm the world's fastest mapper, at least that's my reputation. I did all this today, in between jobs at work, and then after supper for an hour. I've probably got 2.5 hours of work in this so far. Its the software, knowing how to use the software, having the right photo textures, knowing techniques to get the water, rock piles, treasure as I want them and it's a fast paced creation process that I am used to. I run a graphics shop in the daytime, by myself, and have to work at high speed while maintaining quality of work. It's what I do, so that translates to quickly created maps - I couldn't do it slow if I wanted to...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    Yay! Another gridless player!
    When I do the final version at the end, I'll post 3 versions of the map. The first one will be the gridded version and comprise of the final entry, however, I will also post a non-gridded version, as well as one separated in 2 layers - one as cave walls, and one as everything else, for ease of use for VTTs.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-09-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's the final map with details - done. Though I still need to create grids and labels. Next I'm going to work on a fancy border. I see using Anglo-saxon styled jewelry styled corner pieces, then a celtic knotwork styled border as a frame. I may also include a story below this map, attached to the same piece - something to do tonight!

I added the princess platform near the entrance, placed a half submerged small ballista in the cave pool - a failed assault on the dragon from the past, and dung and 'pee' puddle in the offal chamber to the top right. Also, I decided to replace the color of the background from that light parchment to a dark gray - I think it draws the eye towards the caverns itself, more than the other color ... moving right along!

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	dragons-lair-even-more.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	998.8 KB 
ID:	40502
    DrivethruRPG store

Looking good. Nice extra details. I don't think I've ever seen an offal chamber for a dragon's lair! ....Cedric, for my next potion I'm going to need a bottle of dragon pee and a basket of dragon poo. Run down to the Wyrm's lair and collect some for me, that's a good lad. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast