Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Map Submission: Hand-drawn map from a few years back.

Map My First Map Submission: Hand-drawn map from a few years back.

Well,

I finally thought it is time I should submit something to this forum. For my first submission I thought I would post this map which I did about four year ago. It is a hand drawn map consisting of two large continents and several surrounding islands. The particular place names are of little meaning in this map, however I plan to complete a new world map based off this general lay-out after developing a more complete world history and universe to set the world in. I am sorry for the poor picture quality and lighting but I currently do have a scanner large enough to fit the map in. I would love some criticisms and thoughts, and hope you enjoy this map.

Thanks,

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00248.JPG 
Views:	880 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	40509  

Well I think it looks really impressive. It's been a long time since I did a map by hand though (quick town plans aside for RP purposes) so I'm not really sure what to suggest. There looks to be the odd river violation, but river policing is not part of my jurisdiction on these forums. =P

It looks lovely, but the lighting doesn't do it justice. And Larb is right, there are two "magickal" rivers on the southern continent.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done even with the 'funky' rivers
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice! I am a fan of this map Tell us more about the world!

And i don't mind funky rivers...there are enough lame ones around...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Adam, Pentos is a really good map. If you drew it this month, you'd be a contender for the current Lite competition - 'draw a map by hand'. The colors are striking, the landforms are convincing. The red-brown mountains are a nice contrast from the rest of the palette. Do you get what the others have noted about some rivers being hinky? Two principles - they won't redivide on their way to the ocean, and you need to pay attention to the terrain being 'downhill' all the way from source to sea. Seeing as it's a done deal, any complaints are so much whistling in the wind - 'tis what 'tis, and what 'tis is a nice map :-).

If you do more in this vein, we would love to see as you construct them.

Thank you!

First off I had no idea about the competition, still new to the forum. If under a month is for total actual drawing then yes, but with I took some time in between to complete. Second, yes I do understand my rivers are retarded, it's one of the main criticism I have got for this map before and have tried to correct it in my current maps. However, thanks a lot for the advice!

Also I will try to post more up-to-date maps and like you said the process I take as I make it, and and maybe some information about my world building project.

Beautiful! I really love the layout! But is it just a coincidence that the map is named Pentos?
    One of the big cities in "A Song of Ice and Fire" (George R.R. Martin) is called Pentos.
    (The books are being filmatized as "Game of Thrones")
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

for one, I like magic rivers!!! ...and besides that, Great job!!!
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

Nope not a coincidence,

When I drew this map I had just read the first novels and really enjoyed them. Pentos was a place holder name I decided on due to the world having 5 historical ages, and humanoid species. At the moment I am in the process of recreating many of the place names and features while keeping the same general layout of this map. I have made a decision on a world name (Evos) and am almost done renaming the 19 nation realms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast