Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost all files

Default Lost all files

My monthly fight with the virus has come up and... I didn't win this one, I had to do a full system restore, I managed to save a few files that I couldn't get rid of like my current comission and the challenge but all my horded textures... Things from Dundjinni... And many many PSD files of old projects. RIP old computer.

The basic jist of this is that all old projects are void now by me.

ouch.
    Very sorry to hear that.

AVG antivirus is free and works well for me (1 trojan got through in 5 years).
    Last edited by atpollard; 12-10-2011 at 08:45 PM.

You poor soul.

If your bandwidth can stand it, consider using Dropbox to store the most important 2 GB of files on your hardrive. (it's free). Your folders will automatically sync to the dropbox account so if the worst happens you can pull the info back down from Dropbox when you need it. handy if you're travelling too.

Ill take that suggestion next time I.. Am forced to do this again.

I feel the hurt EE and my stomach sinks just to recall loosing some of my important files a couple months ago. I do now use Dropbox as well as a 16GB thumb drive to back up my major and current WIP project files.

Still, it just sucks to loose your hard work and I too am sorry for you loss.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

That is heartbreaking! And it reminds me that I need to do a backup pretty soon lest I have a similar disaster.

I keep all of my data on a different physical drive from my operating system and programs, so if a virus or crash takes out the computer, there's a fairly good chance that I can recover my files. And I never use the default My Documents location. I don't know if Windows still does it, but it used to rebuild that directory every time you reinstalled the OS, resulting the loss of everything in it. I also keep removable archive drives that I back up to every couple of weeks when I'm working, and I back up everything that can't be replaced to DVD-ROM once a year. And I do all that because I've been where you are. I lost about twelve chapters of a (very amateur) novel once to a corrupted disk, and I was so demoralized that I abandoned it entirely. Of course, the world is probably a better place without that book in it, but still.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I feel your pain too, I've also been there. It's one of those hard things that makes you start to back things up religiously ... which also reminds me, I have to do my monthly external backup.

As for Dropbox, I can also recommend it.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I will offer up the suggestion of Carbonite or another auto back up service.

I have just over a terrabyte stored with them ~63K files. Any of these programs works in the background, uploading as files change for secure off site storage. When my previous PC died I downloaded the Client software first and let it all trickle back down.

Well worth the price for peace of mind.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

I will second Dropbox if as a free and "easy" software if you are good with the basic account's 2 GB limit (or can recruit some friends via referral to up your storage). I use Dropbox since it supports linux, windows, mac, and even mobile devices(IPad, Android, BlackBerry). SugarSync is another free storage solution which offers 5Gb of storage, but won't work for me because they don't have a native linux client and I can't be bothered to set it up to run under WINE(SugarSync is more flexible also in terms of where you can put things to "share/backup")

As Anstett stated, if you want rock solid protection, go with something like Carbonite or Mosey or something like that(roughly $60 a year for the basic plans).

The main thing here is get something automated that you don't have the think about. While external Hard drives are great for backup, the truth is that most people just don't do it often enough. This is especially the case with Laptops where you have to be extra proactive to hook it up to the drive.

Not sure about the others(but I fairly sure they do), but Dropbox version's your files, so each time you save, they have a snapshot of all previous versions to which you can revert....and really, just have many times have you accidentally merged layers in PS and wish you had not and wished there was a way to undo.... ditto saving over a jpeg file (original) with an updated copy that you wish was not. Of course, this assumes you have an always on internet connection and that the time between saves allows enough time for the file to sync to the DB servers before you next save.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

damn that sucks ... good luck in restoring. I use dropbox for some of my files and a network drive (LaCie 2 Tb) for the bulk of them - it also have a backup function
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast