Thread: Map of the city Ramsgate, 1314.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Map Map of the city Ramsgate, 1314.

Here is my latest map I have made. It is based on the actual city of Ramsgate. From my research, it was spelled as Ramesgate. I have not yet added in the street names, nor the names of the major structures and places of interest.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ramesgate Map.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	717.8 KB 
ID:	40540  

It looks nice and it's interesting how much open land there is, but when you zoom in the edges are quite pixellated for my taste. A solution would be to use a higher resolution when you draw and then downsample the image so you get some anti-aliasing to blur the edges. But that's really more a matter of taste than anything.

I don't know what the yellowish textures to West and North represent, and the city wall is an orangey red, which goes particularly badly with the green field border. Especially for someone who's got red-green colourblindness (me).

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Those are some excellent suggestions, Lukc! You are right, the resolution should be adjusted. I haven't done too many of these before and am still learning. I definately want the map to have some detail when zoomed, especially the text when I add some. I wonder if it is too late to increase the resolution to at least get the next layers in.

The yellowish textures to the west and north represent grain fields, if you look at it closer (perhaps its the poor resolution that makes it difficult) that it looks like wheat. Im not really sure why I went with the red color for the wall, I suppose so I could differentiate it from the city blocks. I can change the wall to black. It may be more interesting for it to be drawn out in a dimensional format.

Looking at maps from others on this site, I am seeing a lot of impressive and inspirational work! Im wondering if I should put in some type of map edge? Torn edges? I don't know.

I should fiil in that empty space with something as well. At least some roads, right?

Thank you for your constructive criticism!!