Thread: Google Sketchup Castle (Beginning Stage)

Default Google Sketchup Castle (Beginning Stage)

Hello everybody,

For a fun little project i decided i am going to try and design/create a castle. I decided to use Google Sketchup because its not too confusing. I am pretty new to all this and don't take it to seriously, just doing it for fun. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of what i could add and how. Or even a whole new castle design. At the moment they are three different building in one plot of land, all three letters being my initials.

The problem i have with the current design is when looking at it (as if i were standing infront of it) it is not that stunning. It is only nice from a sky-perspecting (in my view) so i might need to change the whole design. I would prefer something with my initials though.

Any ideas for new ideas or just things i could add would be nice. I was thinking about adding a garden/fountain in the backyard but not sure how to do that with Google Sketchup.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2011-12-15 11h 45m 05s.png 
Views:	3561 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	40669

EDIT: My 2nd attempt at a castle: This is very different from my first and pretty modern castle, has nothing really unique. What i like about this castle is the stairs over the mote and the sideways shapes walls where the castle lies. I am going for a third attempt.

Name:	Screenshot 2011-12-16 23h 16m 41s.png 
Views:	588 
Size:	696.0 KB 
ID:	40690
    Last edited by cartonewbie; 12-16-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe, fun idea... if you wanna go a little more serious, try searching for castle floor plans in here (or on google) and make a castle from those. For some extra input to your current project, how about some connecting bridges or such between the buildings
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the advice Tilt! I was definitely considering either underground tunnels or bridges. My biggest concern is that its not a very appealing castle from face-view, so I might need to scrap this castle plan and come up with something new. What I was thinking was maybe doing a more classic style castle and adding my initials to it, someway. Maybe making my initials from a glass window in the front? Maybe making them towers on the roof, i am not sure. I know i have much more respect for you guys because this stuff is not easy.

I have been looking at castles on google and i am not sure where to choose! they are all so stunning but I want something different. I cant think of anything unique though. If you have any idea, please share!

You could try adding a gatehouse and work your intials into a drawbridge or portcullis
    (EDIT) Or make the roofs of the interior buildings of the castle (stables, barracks, etc) do the same
    Last edited by Rascal; 01-01-2012 at 06:51 PM.

The thing that's probably most annoying is with the textures. I'd recommend dropping the textures and leaving it in a single colour until you get a look that you like. Then you can always make some custom textures for it as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

agree with lukc about the textures - no need for those until you're done. And a good thing concerning you upload is to (normally) make them in a new post in the thread as most people jump directly to the bottom of the thread when they have read it before and thus might miss the added picture in your first post.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the advice guys. To me the texture really helps me imagine what it would look like. Below is my most recent, its not my design i took the majority of it from another castle i saw on the web, what i did add myself was the pryamid-like structure at the bottom. As well as make the castle longer in length rather then just a square. And adding the stairs from the walkway to the castle island itself.

I really really like this layout just cant figure out a way to make it more unique and add my special touch to it. An idea i had was to make the four circle towers fire pits, i think it would look incredibly if each one of them had fire blazing from them.

Name:	Screenshot 2012-01-02 17h 04m 05s.png 
Views:	1737 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	40944