Thread: Forest representations

Guild Artisan

Default Forest representations

I created this tutorial for a cartographer challenge and realized now that I had forgotten to post it in the tutorial section.
    I didn't want to make an Nth tutorial about a specific technique for a given forest representation but rather an encyclopedia like analytic tutorial about all possible forest representations.
    The motivation was that I have always been interested by the very important cartographic relationship between scales and representations.

My ambition was that if you watch any map and seee a forest represented on it, you will find its category in the tutorial with an explanation how, under what conditions and why it works.
    All comments are welcome and I hope that the interested reader will find inspiration inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest representation in cartography Part1.pdf 
Views:	1373 
Size:	5.48 MB 
ID:	76786

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest representation in cartography Part2.pdf 
Views:	585 
Size:	5.36 MB 
ID:	76787
    Last edited by Deadshade; 10-16-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Thank you Deadshade for your summary of forests, just wanted to leave a note to make sure any new guys see this very helpful summary document

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Yes, I too found this useful!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for this I've been having a crisis on hand drawing forest. This is really helpful

Default Just wanted to say thank you!

I'm new to the Guild and only joined because I want to learn to draw maps of fictional places--so, all of these tutorials are just fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time :-)