Thread: Overly Ambitious Newbie Project!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Overly Ambitious Newbie Project!

I joined a fairly long time ago, just because I love looking at all the amazing maps you guys have made and snatching some of them for use in D&D, pathfinder, etc. I've always liked creating maps, especially overland maps, but I'm what one would call artistically challenged. I've toyed around before with maps on gimp and photoshop but they usually end up more of just reference points as opposed to real artistic maps. I have next to no experience in the type of maps you guys can churn out on a regular basis, but who cares let's shoot for the stars and maybe hit the moon.

I've always had a dream of creating an intricate map, something on the level of mid sized regional map, except for an entire world map. Something you could sprawl out on a table that has the kind of detail to show roads, small towns and less massive points of interest, but covers an entire campaign world. I'm just going to see how using http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...gional-RPG-Map to make a trial regional map and go from there. I might see if I can just make a colossal map in that same style, or if I have to make smaller regional maps and puzzle piece them together.

This is an absurdly over the top project for someone with next to no experience with this, but I've always wanted to try and maybe I'll get one or two good maps out of it. If I don't make this thread to update and show progress then I'm never going to end up doing it or getting better at mapping like I've always wanted to so even though this might seem asinine I'm just going to go for it. Hopefully I'll start posting my first bits of progress in the next few days and it'll go from there. Here we go!
    Last edited by waddleman; 12-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.