Thread: WiP: a community in Tarina...

Default WiP: a community in Tarina...

Hi all,
    I'm going to be writing a short adventure for BlackStar Studios (they will distribute it free of charge to promote their Shadowlands campaign setting). The adventure will be set in a small community within in the huge city of Tarina (see my map of that city in my gallery or the Finished Maps section). In addition to a 'dungeon' map there will be an overview of the community. I had considered doing an overhead style but found the attached pic in my reference folder from when I was working on the city. So, now I'm thinking iso or similar might be a good style. Anybody got any advice (besides "go hire Djekspek")?
    M

NB, this will become my WiP thread. I may well just do a 3/4 view sketch of the area as a starter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triconch_inklink.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	40583  

Hmm ... maybe use a reference made in Sketch Up to provide guides for a detailed drawing and painting afterwards? That's all the suggestion I'd give for now, since I'm too inexperienced in this kind of drawing/mapping.

Pretty awesome!

Guild Member

Beautiful isometric!

Sorry to mislead! That's not my image...found it on the web. Just wanted to show an example of a style I was considering.

In further news, I've narrowed down the location in Tarina: Anatomo Island (see attached snip from the city map). I've (very roughly) sketched out the neighborhood I plan on showing. Still not 100% sold on doing it iso. These two actually *are* my work!

Other maps in the book will be a diagram of Forum Anatomo (the island's main marketplace building...the rectangular red-roofed one near the top of the island's main hill) and a hideout used by a group of thieves.
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anatomo.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	40719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Community-Map.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	40720  
    Last edited by mearrin69; 12-19-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I like the idea of the ISO drawing for flavor because it also makes it easy to see the relative building heights.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org