Thread: Board Games

Post Board Games

So I have recently gotten into "euro-gaming", and played a few - Key Harvest, Ra, Thebes, and a few others. Many of them have very nice board maps, some almost works of art!

Friday I picked up Carcassonne and immediately fell in love with the simplicity and playability. I also like the fact that every time I play, the result is a unique little picturesque map Sometimes I find myself focusing more on making the map "work" (i'e roads connecting cities) than playing the game

Anyone else have any favorite "mapping" board games they want to shout out about here?

-Rob A>

Post I've heard of Carcassonne

John Fourr and I had a discussion about Carcassonne - while developing my Endless Terrain Battlemap series, my first product idea. Though I don't have the board games myself, there are several games similar to this involved in a somewhat coherent map built from square and hex pieces.

I only created the first three in Endless Battlemap series, when I began participating in challenges here, I may develope more.

The idea was geomorphic edges on 11 x 17 pieces but completely unique terrain within the edges so each piece is an individual terrain, a set of 4 each 2 sided color prints means hundreds of combinations laying 4 pieces in quarters. As adventurers move toward the "edge" of the pieces. Grab piece from opposite side, flip or flip and rotate - edges match, new terrain.

Sorry to hijack the thread, RobA - its just that this was my only encounter with Carcassonne.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Zombies!!!

I like Carcassonne, too. I just wish I was better at it! I bought it for my wife and I to play on our honeymoon, and I don't think I've won more than two games since then. Same story with Settlers of Catan.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

My kids like one called "The Legend of Landlock"--which is a very clever mapping/card game.

(Neat thread, Rob! I can't believe it's taken until now for someone to post this idea!)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I have played Carcassonne, as well, with my brother and nephew and found it to be really enjoyable. Settlers of Catan is another one that I've played with them.

Apparently, there are a lot of 'boardgames' of that type (which was news to me until 9 months ago).

Settlers of Catan is fun. I have not played too many of those as I often worry my wife won;t enjoy them (she hates D&D but like board games), so usually we play:

Ticket to Ride (US Version)
    RoboRally
    Guillitone
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Roborally is fun, but considering the theme, it's a bit slow to play. It's one of the only games I own that works for 8 people, though, so it still sees a bit of play.

If you want a light two-player game to play with your wife, try out Lost Cities. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, and my wife and I have already played it several times.

I'm trying to persuade myself that she'll like Battlelore enough to make it worth the price tag. It's another one that only allows two players, though, so if she doesn't like it, I'll probably never get to play it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name