Thread: Cthulhu-ish Dungeon - for personal game...

Wip Cthulhu-ish Dungeon - for personal game...

So I decided to create me a Cthulhu-ish Dungeon map for a personal game. At this point I am experimenting, but combining 3D rendered objects, with photorealistic textures and Xara beveled walls and floors. I've been in a Cthulhu mood for a while, but nothing got me there. So this is my attempt at it.

This first room may or may not be a finished product, I am just looking at the mix of media and see how it looks together...

Thoughts?

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cthulhu-ish.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	40618
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a little strange that the red circle ends before the rocks, gives me a vision of a smily face ... not a big cthulhu "user" myself, so the map looks a bit weird to me *lol*, a little to colorfull perhaps? But cool that you're trying new styles
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Colour is good!

Yeah, I've been thinking about altering the color palatte to slightly monochrome towards one end of color, as in greenish or brownish - really all this is just an experiment...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Generally, I like it.

Is the creature retreating into the floor or digging itself out?
    I ask because the stone floor looks higher than the dirt floor and the dirt floor almost looks higher than the creature.
    If the creature is breaking through the floor, then there should be stones piled at the edge of the hole and dirt bulging out of the hole and covering the stones.
    The dirt texture should be looser rather than a dried mud crust.

If the creature is breaking in from another dimension, then a glow along the 'tear' might transition better between the stone and the dirt.

Overall, it is still a very good map.

It's supposed to be rising out of the floor. I planned to show buckling bricks being pushed out of the way and piling up to the side, but hadn't gotten that far yet. The idea of breaking from another dimension is interesting and perhaps the better way to go. Again, this is really only an experiment.

Actually I have another idea perculating in my mind - create a series of map objects representing torture devices: rack, iron maiden, etc. Both ideas are dark and I like dark, so one will takeover as my side project. Only time will tell as to which one I work on first...
    DrivethruRPG store

While not a cthulhu person, I do like the use of the different textures in this map.

Ha ha, I love this!

It'll be best, though, if you do a version withOUT the monster, and just the floor looking normal, and have the PCs wander around in the room poking at things, UNTIL...

I'd love to see the looks on their faces when you replace the "plain" map with the "OMG MONSTER" map.

very good thank you