Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Hand-Draw Classic Fantasy Mountains

Tutorial How to Hand-Draw Classic Fantasy Mountains

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How-to-draw-Mountains-fantasy-map-josh-stolarz.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	118596
    Here is a little preview of a tutorial I have put together that walks you through how I draw mountains on my maps.

Mountains are perhaps the most important natural feature on a map. They impact weather patterns, where rivers flow, and ultimately where cities and nations arise.

Click here for some simple steps so you can begin drawing mountains on your fantasy maps.

I hope you find this helpful and let me know if you have any questions!

- Josh

Great looking little tutorial Josh, thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will be helpful to folks.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh (that's my CG handle) / Iconic Maps

That's a very nice tutorial, Josh (and, for the record, I've enjoyed seeing your other tutorials and maps on IG), but I feel like there's quite a big jump from steps 3 to 4 in that tut. Maybe you could explain your process for laying down the shading/lighting?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Awesome stuff. I will definitely have to refer back to this!

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Great looking little tutorial Josh, thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will be helpful to folks.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh (that's my CG handle) / Iconic Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaticDesign View Post
    Awesome stuff. I will definitely have to refer back to this!
    Thank you guys, I appreciate the kind words and am glad you liked the tutorial. Definitely want people to find it helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    That's a very nice tutorial, Josh (and, for the record, I've enjoyed seeing your other tutorials and maps on IG), but I feel like there's quite a big jump from steps 3 to 4 in that tut. Maybe you could explain your process for laying down the shading/lighting?

Wingshaw

First of all, thank you, I do appreciate it and am glad you’ve found them helpful ��.

Are you referring to steps 3-4 or did you mean 8-9? Since you mention lighting and shading I assume you meant the latter. Did you click on the link to see the full tutorial or are you just referring to the preview graphic? In which case, yes that’s quite a jump ��.What would you like me to expand upon in that section? It’s good to get feedback to know how I can make things more clear.

- Josh
    Last edited by JoshStolarz; 11-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStolarz View Post
    First of all, thank you, I do appreciate it and am glad you’ve found them helpful ��.

Are you referring to steps 3-4 or did you mean 8-9? Since you mention lighting and shading I assume you meant the latter. Did you click on the link to see the full tutorial or are you just referring to the preview graphic? In which case, yes that’s quite a jump ��.What would you like me to expand upon in that section? It’s good to get feedback to know how I can make things more clear.

- Josh
    Ah, my apologies... I had assumed that the preview graphic was the tutorial, and I completely missed the link to your site

Please disregard my comment about those steps

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

I really, really like hte shading you obtain on this mountains and hte more sketchy one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Ah, my apologies... I had assumed that the preview graphic was the tutorial, and I completely missed the link to your site

Please disregard my comment about those steps

Wingshaw
    Not a problem! I was worried that might happen haha

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I really, really like hte shading you obtain on this mountains and hte more sketchy one too.
    Thanks, I appreciate you saying so. The rocky texture of the brush I'm using definitely helps.

Thanks for the tutorial, this is really useful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast