Thread: December 2011 Entry: The Ashen Swamp/Pyraxis' Lair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Nighthawk's Avatar

Post Redacted December 2011 non-entry: The Ashen Swamp

*EDIT*: This was to be my first contest submission, but I failed to read the fact that it has to be new material. In any event, I'll leave it here but am withdrawing it from consideration in this contest.

---

The map below is part of a published module I created called "The Dragon's Master", which is available on Drive Thru RPG (don't know if linking to it would be proper, so I won't).

The module's premise, jut for the record:

Skeebo led a hard life. Small even by kobold standards, he was constantly mocked by the others in his clan and tormented by their leader: a black dragon named Pyraxis. Not strong enough to be useful as a soldier and not smart enough to be a mage, he was forced to do all the menial tasks that the rest of the Ashen Kobolds didn't feel like doing. And if he resisted or refused to do what he was told, he risked getting eaten by Pyraxis.

One day, while wandering about the Ashen Swamp, Skeebo made an astonishing discovery: an artifact of unprecedented power that was seemingly discarded in the muck. After donning the artifact, everything changed; he no longer was he the puny kobold that everyone picked on... It was the chance he was looking for to show the others what he was capable of, and show the other kobolds, the humans in the nearby village of Haven, and especially that big, dumb dragon who the "supreme kobold" really was.

Map was created in Adobe Fireworks CS5 using clip art and map elements from the ProFantasy Campaign Cartographer 3 suite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DL_Players.jpg 
Views:	423 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	40628

As part of a planned map pack that I never got around to publishing, I took the basic structure of the map above and themed it for multiple environments: water, swamp, lava and ice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lair_Sample.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	40629
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 12-14-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Didn't read the contest rules...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Nighthawk, good to see new users entering the contests, however - one of the rules state that the mapmaking may not commence before the contest begins, so everybody have equal chances. Anything previously made is a no-go, so its back to the drawing board
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

*cry!*

So can I theoretically submit my map for "Heart of Fire", which I did start after the contest started even though I didn't know about the contest?

If you started the map after December 1st 2011, and if it fits the theme: create a Dragon's Lair, then, of course you can still enter it for this month's challenge. The rules only require that you not start before the start of the challenge. Since you say, that is the case, then, no problem - enter and compete. And good luck to you.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice map Nighthawk.

I think I am in the same situation as you concerning when the maps were started.

I know... was kinda joking on "Heart of Fire"...

Actually, I *did* get an idea for a map I might do, so I'll see if I can get around to it in the coming days.