Thread: Meet Ianna(at least a part of her:P)

Wip Meet Ianna(at least a part of her:P)

Here is a section of one of my continents. so far i'm happy-ish with the result... what do u guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carto_guild_ianna.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	40686

Blog Entries

Well, you have some significant river violations; your rivers are splitting as they flow down hill rather than coming together. Rivers rarely split, and when they do, they come back together farily quickly. There are some good guides to rivers in the tutorials subforum.

Overall, it's rather noisy which makes it hard to identify the meaningfull features from the decorative noise. The texture also seems to vary in resolution making some parts look rather blurry compared to others, which is a bit jarring.

I don't think the bevel or or outset lines on the coast really go with the rest of the map, or with each other.

Sorry if that all came across as rather critical. It does look like a fair bit of care and effort went into it, I just think perhaps you focussed to much on the pretty texture to the exclusion of other aspects of the map.

i really appreciate the feedback, that's one of the reasons i joined the guild, so the critics are most welcome. i'll have to check the river tut. and prolly other geographic setting tutorials and i will update once i feel it's looking better. Thank you Hai-Etlik.

I have to agree with the in on the coast line with regards to the water. It looks like a topographic style map for the water and a more snapshot 'picture' like map for the land which strikes me as odd. Maybe apply some sort of blurring effect to make the lines disappear and allow the water's color to signify the depth.

Maybe its just me, I always preferred the more artistic style maps, but I am having trouble determining what the different types of terrain are. For example I have spots on the maps that can't id as either a Forest or a grassy Plain.

One the southern area, one way to get around the river split could be to turn the rivers in wider channels and make the south an archipelago.

That said I do like the overall map and think it is a good start.

it started as a topo-map made after jezelf tutorials. i was aiming for a tolkienish look but then i overextended myself with the textures.. it even had a layer of calygraphic relief
    the south area is supposed to be a delta, but i slowly get the idea that the picture that's in my head is still verry far away, from what it turns out after a photoshop session
    tyvm for the advices rentauri
    Last edited by sandtrout; 12-17-2011 at 05:20 AM.