Thread: Hi!

Default Hi!

Hey all,

I'm dhokarena56, and I'm probably going to be here on a rather infrequent basis, but I thought I'd say hi. I'm a conworlder, and I'm also on the ZBB.

I do have one map question.

Currently, as I have no tablet, I'm making maps by hand. I have a pretty good idea of what I want my world to look like- that's not the problem.
    I recalled somebody else on the ZBB saying they were crap at drawing realistic maps, and so, to make good-looking maps, they would go to the library, find the stock of world maps, and then find ones that zoomed in on a particular region; then they'd trace little bits and pieces of coastline, splicing them together, so that it looked realistic. I'm trying to do the same thing. I've got a large stock of tracing paper, and it's all 9" by 12". So, here's what I'm trying to find: I need a good-looking, fairly accurate rectangular map projection for a very large world map that I can splice into 9" by 12" pieces, excepting everything north and south of maybe 75 degrees- there aren't any polar landmasses. What sort of map projection would be good? Plate carrée would be easiest, but I could go for Miller...

Welcome to the Guild!

Hmmm....your problem is quite the conundrum...unfortunately, I have no suggestion.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I mean...I'm just really bad with digital photo manipulation, that's all.

I'd go for whatever projection you can find, and just pick coastlines from the least distorted regions of the map, even from different scales. There is nothing preventing an island from becoming a continent, or a lake, or a bit of random coastline on another island, because of the generally fractal nature of coastlines.

-Rob A>