Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional practice

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default Regional practice

I've been wanting to come up with a new and faster method in the hand-drawn style so that I can whip stuff out faster. The drawing part is easy but I've been spending the last few days experimenting with "effects" that may go on top of this for a possible quasi painted-style like on video games. I keep getting distracted with the effects so I gotta focus on just getting the drawing done. This image has no effects, as you can see, 'cuz I haven't come up with anything that I like. You can see that this is named untitled 10...man I gotta finish those other 9. The original is twice this size 'cuz I'm more into the fast arm movements right now for speed practice. Anyway, here's my doodle so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-10.jpg 
Views:	939 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	34212  
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Superb mountain/foothill transition effect. I like the jagged, frozen waste effect in the north-east as well. Be nice to see a tutorial once you've finalised the method(s).

It would be perfect for a map I'm toying around with just now but since you're a PSer I guess there may not necessarily be a GIMP or Fireworks equivalent. Still a nice style though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff so far Ascension.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Good start A. The mountains will look nice once you get some shading on them... any idea what your going to do yet? Are you trying to do the shading with some type of filter to make it fast?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The premise is to do this as 3 different styles along the same arc - pure line drawing, hatched or shaded line drawing (still debating that), and quasi-painted. All of this will be by hand. The effects/filters/experiments/whatever I've been messin with are all post-work like grunge, water spots, dirt, smudges, texture, etc. - something that I can do fast and replicate every time. This is only for the final painted style so, once again, I got ahead of myself. Effects are not my strong suit so I'm experimenting with lots of things just to get some ideas going that might lead me somewhere.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Sounds great, A--I know I always enjoy doing my own little experiments and projects more than anything else. Good luck on this one!

Oh, and the line-art on those mountains is amazing.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 03-09-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Really nice map! I like mountains, forests and coastlines.

Just one thing concerning the rivers, I think the layer of rivers has a bit moved. We can notice it at the level of the coastlines.

Yeah, not to worry about the rivers, though - they're just placeholders while I work out the rest of the terrain. I've redone them twice since that pic and still not real happy with them but I'm neck-deep in forests right now. I'll post up a new pic later tonight.

So here's where I am right now. Added some stuff, not too much to look at right now. I'll wait to post more when I get the terrain done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-10.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	34273  

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast