Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy map. Problem regarding rivers...

Following tilt's advice, I made another layer with a blue color overlay and a sea pattern, set it to multiply and blurred the deeper part of the sea. I think it's much better now. Thanks once again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapa Kellon WIP_12.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	40744

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better - now, if you really want it to stand out you might add a wave/reflection layer on top of that to give some life to the water
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The rivers and the seas/oceans look really nice, on their own.

However, the sharp, sudden, and dramatic change in color where the rivers reach the coast is really jarring to me. Might I suggest that you either lighten the seas/oceans, or add a lighter color at the coast to lessen the impact? Another option might be to darken the rivers themselves, but I like the light shade of blue you've used there.

Really like your mountains, by the way, especially the snow caps. And the volcanoes are a neat touch, too!

Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, sorry for the bad quality of the picture I posted before! I didn't check how it looked before uploading it and only later realised how much compression it had.

To try to blend the rivers and the sea and following your advice, I added two white layers to the coastline with different opacities in soft light blending mode, and duplicated the sea texture on top with a 15% opacity. I drawed the rivers into the ocean and then erased them with a low opacity brush. I think it looks much better now.

Name:	Mapa Kellon WIP_13.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	571.3 KB 
ID:	40759

Wow, nice! The whole coastline really pops now, and the rivers "reaching" out into the ocean looks quite realistic to me -- in fact, it's very reminiscent of the river that runs through my home town here where it joins with a very silty glacier-fed river nearby, and you can see the different-colored waters swirling together where the one pours into the other.

Not sure on the scale of your map, but the rivers might be reaching too far out to be completely plausible, but they definitely have a very nice artistic flair to them!

Thanks, glad you like it! I've gone a step further and painted the texture of the rivers on all the coastline of the map and then I've blended it with the sea erasing the border with a 50% opacity brush. This has added lots of detail onto the coastline and the rivers now blend in a much better way. Thanks for the feedback once again.

Name:	Mapa Kellon WIP_14.jpg 
Views:	1092 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	40767

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

very nice rapatuan - looks great now and so I don't forget later - have some rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I just finally completed the map after a lot of work, mainly with the labels. You can see the finished map here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ap-of-K%EBllon

(I created another thread to avoid the confusing title of the rivers problem, hope I haven't messed up with some forum policy...)

Quote Originally Posted by rapatuan View Post
    Hello,

I'm workin on a fantasy map using techniques learnt mainly from Pasis and Ascension's tutorials, and although I'm fairly happy with how it's coming together, I have one important concern: river rules violation.

This is a commision, and the client brought a map with some inconsistencies, mainly relating to rivers: Rivers that finish in a lake rather than on the sea, rivers that flow uphill, rivers that divide rather than join, rivers that end nowhere... the usual as you see. I spoke with the client and we both agreed to make some changes to avoid those flaws, but he insists on keeping with rivers that doesn't end on the sea and justifying it by saying that they go underground... I can live with that, and to stay on common ground, I was thinking of drawing some features on land to show the underground course of the river.

There's no much more I can do about it, but wanted to share my frustation just to alleviate its weight.

As for the map itself, the base map was done by the client using Autorealm, then I added some textures in PS, an underwater texture was made inspired by Ascension atlas style tutorial and mountains and forests were done a-la-pasis. I made my own forest texture, because I found pasis' one to be lacking on resolution but used his mountain texture together with some others downloaded from CGtextures. I then applied shadows, just like I were shading a miniature with ink, using a soft brush at 50% opacity.

Attachment 40709
    Hello,

I would be interested in using this map image for my game.

As I have only just joined I can not yet send a private message.

Can you please contact me to discuss details.

Thanks
    Alex
    Dancing Cat Development

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Hello,

I would be interested in using this map image for my game.

As I have only just joined I can not yet send a private message.

Can you please contact me to discuss details.

Thanks
    Alex
    Dancing Cat Development
    Bump. Can the OP of this please send me a message.
    I can not yet send messages on this site due to the anti-spam measures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast