Thread: December 2011 Entry: Benden Weyr

Default December 2011 Entry: Benden Weyr

Don't know if I'm going to have time to finish this, but I'm doing something out of Anne McCaffrey's dragon books. Only problem is that I read them so long ago I can't really remember much, so I'll have to wing it from stuff from the web.

Here's what I've got so far...doesn't look too mappy tho', and not being able to draw mountains too well is a bit of a handicap too.

For those unfamiliar with the books, dragons and their human riders work together to fight an external threat to the planet (a toxic 'thread' that drops from space). The dragons live in 'Weyrs' which are the insides of extinct volcanoes. Each dragon has a weyr (small 'w') which has a 'sunning ledge' and a cave inside for it to sleep. In times of trouble the riders and dragons live together in the cave so they can fly out at short notice. Benden Weyr has capacity for about 600 dragons, which means about 300 caves on this map. I think I might use poetic license to cut that down a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Benden Export_01.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	40731  

That looks pretty good! love the color and the way the rocks are taking shape. To make rocks look even better maybe you can use speed-paint techniques that can be found at http://www.djahalland.com/en/goodies. It also has some 'magic' brushes that can be used for texturing... (unless you dont want to take the shortcut and texture them compltetely manually of course) cheers, DJ

Oh cool, thanks DJ! I'm doing this in Drawplus and not photoshop (just thought, what the hey) but I'm sure that there's a way I can make the PS brushes sort of work in DP (although there are not as many options in DP)....I'll give it a go, thanks!

Looking good, I always liked the Pern series. Nice to see them on paper. Hope you have a chance to finish by the deadline.
    600 caves! Imagine the effort to carve them all out of the rock, and all the interior halls and stairwells to connect them on the inside.

Guild Novice

I'd recommend Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Pern for some guides and inspiration.

edit (oops... didn't realize what exactly this was about. If you can't use the book as inspiration for the challenge, I'd recommend looking at it afterwards anyway. ;-)
    Last edited by Feadel; 12-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks Bogie and Feadel.

@Feadel - I found a map of the Weyr from the Wynn Fonstad's Atlas on the webs, but it was an overhead one, which I didn't really want to do...but it gave me a general idea of what was where! Cheers!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djekspek View Post
    That looks pretty good! love the color and the way the rocks are taking shape. To make rocks look even better maybe you can use speed-paint techniques that can be found at http://www.djahalland.com/en/goodies. It also has some 'magic' brushes that can be used for texturing... (unless you dont want to take the shortcut and texture them compltetely manually of course) cheers, DJ
    Great ressource. Thank you, DJ.

Can't wait to see more, ravs.