Thread: My first world - any suggestions?

Default My first world - any suggestions?

I'm very new to mapping. I purchased a bundle of Pro-Fantasy stuff and I'm now trying to learn a program at a time. I made this map using Fractal Terrains Pro. Photoshop helped a bit as well - which is a program I'm still just starting to learn. I want to create a whole world that I can than bring into CC3 (my next program to learn). I have a lot of questions and problems I'm running into trying to export the map into CC3 (rivers running off towards border, lakes not showing up, etc.). Anyway, I just want some constructive criticism from those who know more about mapping - which is likely all of you.

Thank you for your time.

Have fun mapping!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sample.pdf  

I know nothing about the programm in question, so i can be of no help there. But i wanted to pop in here to tell you that i totally dig the shapes of your continents! I hope you'll post the world map as a whole in here?! The one you used to make the globe. I'd really like to see it.
    Oh and welcome to the guild and have some Rep.!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Nice job, great colors. I also like the coastline shape.

Thanks for the comments. And yes, I'll have to display the entire world, however it won't have compass rose, border etc. As for my questions, I'll have to bring those up in another forum. Thanks again for the feedback.

Welcome, map4fun. To put an answer properly in your own thread :-), no, it doesn't take a lot of software know-how to do digital mapping. You can get better / more realistic / <other superlatives> results if you understand what's going on under the hood, much as you'll get better use out of your car if you know it inside and out. But you can 'enjoy the drive' even if you only know the surface of the software. Likewise, a number of CG members disclaim any artistic ability, yet they devise nice maps - you don't have to become a great artist AND a great programmer AND a geographer/geologist/astrographer to start making pleasant and useful maps.

You've got a good start with what FT generated for you. Did you do much editing once it handed you a world? I find FT a good start point. I know zero 'bout CC3, so others'll have to chime in there.

Do you have a goal of what you want to do with your maps, or are you worldbuilding for the sheer joy of it?

hey, thats a good first map ya got there. this site has a lot of really outstanding tutorials you can check out, and with a little digging you might find the answers to all of your questions. for constructive criticism I'd say your deserts are too few and far between, try taking a look at earth and seeing how much brown there is, and where most of it is, and try applying some of that to your world, unless its wetter of course.