Thread: first WIP and mountains technique

Wip first WIP and mountains technique

Hey everyone, I've been fiddling around with a new way of making mountains in CS3, just simple clouds and then messing around with bevel/emboss and the like which I'm sure you are all familiar with. I was wondering of what you guys though of the technique and how it looks on the WIP map I attached.

*Update: Been working on a new map using the left one for around five hours today and here is what I have so far (the map on the right, I removed the older WIP as it was just a test), I'm pretty proud of it though its far from finished. The red circles are towns, blue are fortresses/castles and the pickaxes are mines. I'm not really sure what scale I want the map to be, I was thinking the size of modern Thuringia in Germany but that may be too large. The reason for the so many fortresses on the norther flank is because they have beacon towers to warn of invasion from the north.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain technique copy.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	943.3 KB 
ID:	40754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bravanda.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	774.4 KB 
ID:	40760  
    Last edited by Sephiros-TH; 12-21-2011 at 08:14 PM.

I like the mountains on the left the best.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The mountains on the left, especially fading into that sickly green color like that, look to me like a treacherous area where foolhardy adventurers have to carefully traverse the mountains and ridges at great risk of falling into that toxic gas choking out the valleys below...

I really like those mountains, they look really nice. Some snow caps on top of the taller ones would really make them pop I think.

Haha the sickly green was just a backdrop so they mountains were accentuated but I do like that idea, maybe add a layer of green with an opacity gradient to make it look more like gas. As far as snow caps go, I'm trying to figure out a way to pull that off. I've been using the bits from the one on the left to make a new region map that I may post soon.