Thread: Neverwinter - The Beached Leviathan

Default Neverwinter - The Beached Leviathan

So I've started prep'ing for a new campaign I'm about to start off for my wife and her friend and am getting back into the swing of making maps. It's been a while since I've DM'ed let alone made a map so I needed to start with something basic and decided on doing a tavern. I know it's another encounter styled map but unfortunately that's where I shine. Haha. Learned a lot of small little things with this one. Hope you enjoy. also included the concept art in the campaign guide for a reference on where my inspiration came from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Beached Leviathan - 1F Map.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	40762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Beached Leviathan - 2F Map.jpg 
Views:	1157 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	40763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Beached Leviathan - Handout.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	40764  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Nice job Geamon! There are plenty of tavern maps around, but it's nice to have one that is really different.

Nice!

I've seen three different 'official' maps for the Beached Leviathan from WotC, but (besides each one being entirely different) none of them resembled the illustration and description like yours does.

Thank you very much. I actually revised the maps for the actual play session. The original had contrast issues with the grid and the colors felt too saturated. So here's the revised versions if interest. Debating creating an Obsidian Portal Campaign page to share the fruits of my labors. but unfortunately I'm stealing art from a lot of places so wouldn't be right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1. - The Beached Leviathan - 1F.jpg 
Views:	1012 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	40863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1. - The Beached Leviathan - 2F.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	40864  
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Would it be wrong to point out that the bumpout on the side of the ship is on the opposite side in the illustration compared to the map? Assuming that the building in the illustration is the bumpout on the map, of course...

Without seeing the illustration, I'd never have even thought about the positioning, though. It's a very nice piece of work.

Blog Entries

It's hard to judge distances based on an illustration, but Leviathan seems like an ambitious name for such a small vessel. By comparison to the Inn's 85' in length, the USS Constitution was 175' at the waterline, and almost 45' wide. By contrast, the Leviathan is more the size of a large caravel like Columbus' Pinta.

Another detail related to Waldonrate's commentary... the pitch of the roof on the extended is pretty steep, and the second floor would be crowded on the inside and outside walls by the roof. For practical reasons, the stairway to the second level would be on the inside of the room and not the outside wall where anyone coming up the stair would have to do battle with the rafters.

I think your map is excellent, technicalities notwithstanding. Have some rep!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Leviathan seems like an ambitious name for such a small vessel.
    Although the overland city map provided in the Campaign setting book depicts the leviathan as quite large, geamon's map is identical in size to the detailed layout provided in WotC's article about the beached Leviathan, and is similar in size to the (unship-like) battlemap provided in Neverwinter Encounters (Lost Crown of Neverwinter)

Another detail related to Waldonrate's commentary... the pitch of the roof on the extended is pretty steep
    According to WotC's article: "On the starboard side of the ship, a platform called the stardeck juts out, providing an exterior seating area". So it is technically on the wrong side (easy change if desired), but it is not the building in the picture, and thus there is no pitched roof.

Hence, I took some creative licensing and created my own version. I didn't include any of the DDI information for my interpretation just the campaign setting book. BTW, linking to images and stuff from DDI doesn't work since some people including me aren't subscribers.
    Cheers, Julien