Thread: Texture Canyon

Default Texture Canyon

Attachment 41214Attachment 41220

This is just a map I made for a little texturing tutorial (I'll admit, I think I over-aged this one, but it gets the point across) ... but what I want your thoughts on is ... the terrain. How do you find it? I used a "new" method ... the rolled rag brush in photoshop.

(And I *still* don't get it how to repost an image I've already uploaded -.-)

I think it looks nice enough, although the green seems to cover the highlights in a few places making it look a bit flat-ish near the river/lake edge.

Also, what is the rolled rag brush and how are you using it? (I don't really use many brushes outside of the basic ones and a few special custom art brushes).

I agree, the trees are somewhat *beep* :9 ... The "rolled rag" is one of the Faux Finish brushes in photoshop and it gives a pretty nifty "textured" look that doesn't seem that digital. Here's a version without the forest:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake-of-the-SIZ-(no-forest).jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	382.6 KB 
ID:	41222

P.S. - could this thread be moved to General Mapping please? I think I messed up it's placement.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Done. And that's looking really good. I'd be a little careful with the words flowing down the rivers. Tweak the path a little to make it follow the water better and you'll be golden. Otherwise, as soon as the words hit the coastlines they break the impression. For a similar reason, add some space to the words you've split across the river - Turalia Extrema - to make sure they don't run through the lines.

I love the impression you got from the rag brush. That's worth a look!

I know, the labels are sloppy - I was just rushing things to give me something to work with for texturing and I stumbled across the rag brush accidentally, while trying to find a fast way to indicate terrain. I should really try another map with this, to see how it works out.