Thread: A return to mapping

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Default A return to mapping

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Med2.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	40845

It has been a while since I posted anything mappish.....for a few reasons. A lack of a computer that can actually map without having a heart attack being the main one. Anyhoot THAT has been fixed (i7 x980, 24 GB Ram and 2 TB HD) and so I am getting back into one of my favorite hobbies, and here is my latest offering: Here is a WIP of a region in the Mediterranean Sea. ATM I have just defined the land and worked on the water (noised and did some subtle highlighting of the shores). Let me know what you think.....not that I expect y'all to be shy

By the way, this is done in Gimp, using world data from the NOAA.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Member Facebook Connected

What is going to be the purpose of this map? Just for practice, or is something planned using this region, like a story/game based in ancient Greece or something?

basic practice initially, but might end up being a campaign setting...I have always been a fan of Homer....
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Guild Novice

looks interesting korash can't wait to see what you do with the map sad that you had to cut out part of cyprus. However I am interested in knowing what time period the map will be off. will it be before the invasion of the faction that was in the region of dacia which cause the greek people to flee to the mountains and through that they parted ways( the greek people) and founded macedonia to the north and the athens in the south sparta was the state where the greek never fled. ( of there were few that did but the majority didn't)
    Last edited by Stormhawk; 12-29-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Med2a.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	432.2 KB 
ID:	40858

Now that you mention it, I guess I will re-read the Iliad and the Odyssey again and map out the voyages...although the res might be a bit low for doing it right....Gonna have to figure out (again) how to use DEM files to get the proper topography...gotta reload FWtools and look up the tut ..... Ahhhh ... the joys or re-discovery

I have also attached a newer version with some more tweaks of the water. What do you think?

With 24GB of ram, you should be doing this at something like 8000x6000 res at least!

I know....wasn't thinking...still getting used to the new beast...

Hey, Korash - welcome back to active mapping. That really IS a beast of a machine you have there. A bit jealous, I might be ... :-).

How the water looks depends a lot on what you do with the land. The coastal glow isn't real depth, just enhancement, so I'm led to expect no explicit features in the sea other than a nice blue wetness, and you have that going OK.

great - how'd I manage a TRIPLE post ... :-b
    Last edited by jbgibson; 12-31-2011 at 02:28 AM.

double post - whoopsie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast