Thread: Gomilsk - a sketch up (WIP?)

Default Gomilsk - a sketch up (WIP?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gomilsk_web_1920.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	40852

Gomilsk, built upon a forgotten giants' barrow, the largest town of the valley of Saint Nomme and home to the Baron Verdek, a church, a couple of towers and, of course, the requisite D&D municipal crematorium, to prevent zombies and skeletons being created from your loved ones ... this is just a sketch up sketch, though I'm not sure I'll do much more work on it.

Anyway - it does seem to be a plausible way to generate a town map. Plus I think it looks quite pretty.

Very sketchy style indeed... but I think it looks rather VERY pretty. How did you do it?

Well, I used Google SketchUp 8 for the 3d modelling. First I made the ground and river, then made a hemisphere for the barrow.

Then I started making individual buildings and saving them as components, before copying them and rotating them around. That took about 4 hours all together (but I was very rusty with SketchUp when I started!). The good thing with components is that you can edit their colour and shapes all at once, rather than one at a time. For the lighting, I set it to the 29th of december 2011 at abou 11:30 - unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees (oops! but nobody seeing the sketch needs to know ... ).

Then I used photoshop to add a bit of texturing and texts to the whole thing ... probably two screen and one multiply layers.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

Convert the surrounding area to swamps with the ramp going down to a boat dock and that fits my campaign adventures perfectly!

Another very well done map, this is the sort of thing I like to show my players, post on my site. Then to have the traditional top down map for my own purposes.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    unfortunately I got the orientation of the whole map wrong by 90 degrees
    In Sketchup 8 Pro you can set the North direction using the "Set North Tool" from the "Solar North" toolbar (select it in View->Toolbars if you don't see it).

Another way is to select everything and simply rotate it 90 degrees. Should be about 6 seconds work for someone as rusty as you

Heh, thanks for pointing out the "Set North Tool" - I don't have Pro, but the 90° rotation was simple enough to accomplish . Here's a little toad's eye view of the place.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gomilsk_fixed_north.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	40862

That's it for this year. Happy 2012 everyone!

That's pretty nice, especially the last image you posted. Makes me want to play around with sketchup some more myself.

You should write a tutlet or something of how you do the aging!

I could, seeing as my flight was cancelled due to fog and my new year holidays flushed