Thread: Mostova - another sketch up (WIP?)

Default Mostova - another sketch up (WIP?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostova-1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	594.1 KB 
ID:	40855

A postcard view ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mostova-2.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	707.8 KB 
ID:	40856

And a straight bird's eye view. I have to admit this Sketch Up is a powerful tool. Very powerful. Considering I doodled this town up in 2.573 hours, while skyping and chatting around online. Some ageing and textures in photoshop, again. The main thing is that with a 3d town map and separate components things can be added, removed, moved, etc. very easily. The only thing that's ridiculously fiddly is how to make hemispheres and domes ... yuck and yuck.

As you might notice, I haven't bothered to add much detail to the houses, though this wouldn't be too difficult (a bit fiddly and time-consuming, but not too difficult).

Oh, and some story. The town of Mostova was built about 70 years ago by the Dolinars who settled the Valley of Saint Nomme after successfully defeating a host of raiding centaurs that had been pursuing them for many months and "civilizing" the local aboriginal halflings (gypsy dwarfs, they called them). The ancient bridge seemed immune to the ravages of time and a town was built upon it.

What I might do next year: add boats, cranes and ladders.

That is awesome! I love the concept of a town on a bridge, the look and the feel. Bravo!!!

Very nice! I love your sketch-ups.

I've started a third town, but then I went overboard with the components (houses) and I think I'm going to have to restart it. It's always a struggle to *not* add detail as I go but to save that for later, after the main layout is done!

Question: Do you use an additional rendering program?

I recommend you look into kerkythea. Its free like sketchup and plugs right into sketchup. It has a lighting engine and would really help with making you models cleaner before running them through photoshop.

Had to resist the urge to clean my monitor when looking at those maps. Looks nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Like the Pulteney Bridge in Bath UK that I visited on my honeymoon, but on a grander scale. Great work as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Krases View Post
    Question: Do you use an additional rendering program?

I recommend you look into kerkythea. Its free like sketchup and plugs right into sketchup. It has a lighting engine and would really help with making you models cleaner before running them through photoshop.
    No I don't ... like I said, I'm really a beginner with SketchUp. I'll definitely check out Kerkythea and show you the results soon. I'm doing another test map with SketchUp of a somewhat oriental coastal town.

I also have to practice my work with textures. So many programmes, so little time ... and so much EUIII to play!

@Master - hehe, I'll count that as a success. Monitors always work better when clean. But I really need to kick myself and scan some new bits of paper for textures.

@maxsdaddy - yeah, those medieaval bridges with houses are fascinating. The Ponte Vecchio in Florence is another great example ... and the good part with a lot of Renaissance buildings and towns in Italy is that you just have to play Assassin's Creed II to look at them. I gave my sister a guided tour of Florence in that game ... I had to. After half an hour of playing I was suddenly struck, "oh my god, look, that's the bridge we sat on drinking bad wine!"
    Last edited by Lukc; 01-12-2012 at 04:16 AM.