Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Delta

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Wip The Delta

Random map. C&C?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Delta.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	40865  

Love the style and the colours (but I've always been partial to brown hues and the like). Really nice and neat lines too. I really can't think of anything I'd do different. I'd maybe add a subtle glow the same colour as the overall map background colour around the place names so they are easier to read (like Thuray for example) but that is a very minor thing.
    Last edited by Larb; 12-30-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Very nice. My only question is: how does that rift manage to stay dry when its below sea level? Magic?
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Love the style and the colours (but I've always been partial to brown hues and the like). Really nice and neat lines too. I really can't think of anything I'd do different. I'd maybe add a subtle glow the same colour as the overall map background colour around the place names so they are easier to read (like Thuray for example) but that is a very minor thing.
    Thanks. I try something to make the labels more legible.

Quote Originally Posted by vman3force View Post
    Very nice. My only question is: how does that rift manage to stay dry when its below sea level? Magic?
    Kind of magic, yes. The ground is covered by dense fog and people who climb down rarely come back, so no one is really sure what's down there.

Blog Entries

It doesn't really look like a delta so much as a bunch of, for lack of a better term, "ordinary" islands. The way the distributaries branch off back, seemingly uphill just doesn't look right and their banks are too crinkly looking.

Deltas tend to have lots of smooth curves, and they are, as a necessary result of how they form, flat. You don't find mountains or hills in the middle of deltas. It's also odd to find a significant waterfall close to a delta.

It looks beautiful otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    It doesn't really look like a delta so much as a bunch of, for lack of a better term, "ordinary" islands. The way the distributaries branch off back, seemingly uphill just doesn't look right and their banks are too crinkly looking.

Deltas tend to have lots of smooth curves, and they are, as a necessary result of how they form, flat. You don't find mountains or hills in the middle of deltas. It's also odd to find a significant waterfall close to a delta.

It looks beautiful otherwise.
    You're obviously right with your arguments. I was more interested in the style than in the correct geologic structure.

A lovely map, the style looks nice and it works well. There's maybe not enough contrast for my taste, but tastes vary!

"The Delta" in the upper left corner looks incredible. I really like the waterfall and background color.

The woods blend with the background too much - they are hard to see and look like low plateaus at a glance.

I love the compass and scale, but can't help but wonder if merging the scale circle and the compass rose circle might be interesting as a future evolution.

Wip

Added some subtle changes and increased - I hope - the legibility of the text.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Delta.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	40895  

I really like it. My only comment on the first one would've been the place names, but since you've already fixed that...
    I especially like the little waterfall at the top, nice detail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast