Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A return to making maps and an attempt to perfect a style

I preferred the first font - white with black outlines. It was much easier to read. Muuuuch.

Otherwise, it's looking very good.

I agree that the old typeface was easier to read, but that said it wasn't the right "feel" for this map. I'm still fiddling with the typeface (its been changed to something less insane in the current version) and such things. If you happen to know of a good readibly archaic typeface that might work well, I'd be delighted to know its name.

Also, I redid the outlines and the rivers by hand to get the variable line width I prefer for this sort of map. More mountains have been added as well and I've made the texturing more visible and warmed up the color palate a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folkloremaptest.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	40984  

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I returned to work from my vacation and things are a bit busy at present. So, all in all I am not as far a long as I would like. That said, I am happy to report some progress with the map. I've fiddled with the text a bit more and I've changed the border to be a bit more interesting.

Views:	66 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	41223  

This is lovely! The new typesetting is a big improvement.

I notice that the "water" colour is not precisely aligned with the landform outlines in all places. It gives a sort of hand-drawn feel to things, but I wonder if it's deliberate, or is that something you haven't gotten around to fixing yet? There's a small island just to the left of the "The" in "The Rueful Sea" that shows what I'm talking about. Just curious.

barsoomcore, yes, those little areas of bad outlining are things I am planning on cleaning up. I've done a bit already (some of the gross work involving the magic wand and all) and am trying to polish a bit more as I go along.

This looks awesome! Very nicely done.

really digging this style. Keep it up.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I've added a scale and the beginnings of a key to the map but I am not happy with the positioning. I like the key being central but that seems to cause the other elements to be unbalanced and wonky looking. Any suggestions on placement would be greatly appreciated.

Views:	95 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	41434  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

i do like the final version of this map - very characterful and the 2-tone colours (red/white) remind me of old-process printed maps too. very cool.

This map is gorgeous! I think the font compliments it well, I love mountains and color palette too. What's not to love? This map is amazing and has a very artistic feel to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast