Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Town of Elmstone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Default The Town of Elmstone

This town has been in a campaign for about 10 years. I finally decided I would give it some color (the original art done on old scrap paper, torn and tattered). I did this in Drawplus and Photoshop, my 2 favorite programs to work in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elmstone.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	40917

Thoughts and input are welcomed
    Also the map below is a regional map where the town is based I think. Or did I lose my way

Rigg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kestland NE (display maps).jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	856.9 KB 
ID:	40916  
    Last edited by Riggamorphus; 01-02-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Adding info for the other map

Looks good Rigg.

Maybe the walls are a tad massive for a medieval city - and I don't think most city walls had crenellations facing both in and out (probably something to do with cost savings! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I don't think most city walls had crenellations facing both in and out (probably something to do with cost savings! ).
    One reason not to have them on the inside is so that archers at the next wall (or inside the keep) can shoot the invaders if they should gain the wa

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    One reason not to have them on the inside is so that archers at the next wall (or inside the keep) can shoot the invaders if they should gain the wa
    There you go. Pointed it out for me. Having them on both sides would only make sense if you weren't sure of your own subjects in the city and the walls were just an extension of a fortress system or some such.

Looks good and it has a good overall feeling in it making me want to zoom in for details. Though the ground textures are blurry than the objects (houses and trees etc) making the objects float over the ground a bit. I suggest you sharpen the ground textures if possible and I would love to see the updated version.
    But good work already as it is.

Guild Novice

10 years campaign omg! the city and regional map looks great! nice job!

Blog Entries

The map looks super. I can tell a ton of work went into it. The features seem a little too crystal clear however, giving it a feel of unreality the way a Dunjinni map does. More blending, softer edges would help. The trees are probably the most hyper-real and need blur and perhaps a lower opacity.

Also, one of the pitfalls of cities is shadows. If you're going to use them, and you should, the drop shadows in Photoshop will betray you. You have towers casting shadows on the ground, but also on walls. The shadow on the walls (and crenelations, etc.) should be different depending on the object the shadow is being cast upon. Nitpicky perhaps, but the eye sees your walls and structures as flat when shadows don't react to them. Most city maps aren't complex enough to worry about shadows, but yours is. Not recommending you rework it, but something for future consideration.

I really like how you took the time to align the tiles on the roofs and added a good number of dormers. I know how difficult that is and what it takes. I also think the flat roofs are a nice touch. All in all, a prize-winner of a map. Well done and have some rep.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I think this is a really nice map though I've never attempted one in this style so I can't really add much. But maps like this always tempt me to give it a try.

The shadows thing is a huge pain. On my own maps I've basically had to add big shadows by hand because of how drop shadow works. I keep meaning to take a look into whether there is a photoshop filter plugin in that simulates proper cast shadows but I always forget.

Also, that regional map looks great.

Guild Member

Here is another explanation for the crenellations. It is a rebellious city and the ruler is very cruel and heavy handed to his people.

Guild Member

Thanks for input.

Immolate, I agree with the details of the shadows not being convincing. That is something that should be sub par for the amount of detail for towns and cities. I made the mistake that starting in Photoshop and finishing in a separate program.

Pasis- Yes. It doesnt look like it fits. I am going to try to reimport the background layer in a higher dpi that might solve some of detail problems.

Rigg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast