Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small 16th century inspired map

Made the compass and the grid. Any thoughts on the font for te place names?
    Critique is always welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	577.6 KB 
ID:	41073

To be wholy honest, I do not see anything wrong with the font you already used. One tip: Try not to rotate the place names more than 45 degrees off horizontal.

Otherwise, nice map.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

To be wholy honest, I do not see anything wrong with the font you already used. One tip: Try not to rotate the place names more than 45 degrees off horizontal.

Otherwise, nice map.

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

This becomes better and better.

I've added the rest of the place names, a map name and a border. Not quite sure if I like the border though... Any thoughts, keep it, change it or lose it?

Views:	152 
Size:	762.7 KB 
ID:	41151

My 2 cents is the border isn't at the same level as the rest of the map. I'd drop it for now. Maybe make some of the coastal town names slightly curved?

The border is no grand work of art, but it serves quite well to define the map. I would also leave the town names as they are - angled but straight fits the intended style better than curved.

One thing that you might want to change though is keeping the rhumb lines (the compass lines) on the sea only. Either these lines were used for navigational purposes, or they were simply used as decorative elements indicating "here is sea".

I agree ... but if the purpose of the border is merely to define the map, then a simple black border might be better for now.

I think the reason the border seems out of place is because it gives the impression that the map is supposed to be on some sort of parchment; yet the texture doesn't affect the rest of the image. I would suggest either a simple black border as Lukc mentioned or incorporating the parchment/paper texture into the rest of the image so the two don't clash so strongly.

Save for the border I'm really enjoying this map. Nice and clean, easily readable and very effective color choices.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've deleted the rhumb lines from the land, and changed the border to something more suited to this style. I'm wondering if I should do more or just leave it as it is. I might experiment a little with the colourscheme, but I think that'll be it.

Views:	141 
Size:	743.5 KB 
ID:	41352

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast