Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Dungeon Map - Suggestions needed

How's this one with a full balcony?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balcony-Room.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	41253

I think it's cool, but needs some more thought. The first obvious item is how does one understand that the adjoining hallways are "under" the balcony. Perhaps "semi" transparent part of the balcony where the entrance would be. Or perhaps semi transparent the entire balcony. Or have the balcony avoid avoid one of the doors(the right would) and have stars up right outside the door(but that only solves the issue for one door.) shrug... don't know.

You should think about the hand railing since the would not be made that way with board planks. Ditto the columns likely. For the railing, I would suggest adding smaller posts(these would not go to the floor of the room) and have the planks straight and not curved at all. You would have to rotate the texture for each segment though to get it to look right (and/or go with a different approach all together, perhaps wrought iron railing)

Would it be possible to lay down a grid or something else to provide scale for your future images? Oh and BTW, those stairs look awesome!!!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The issue with the hallways passing under the balcony is why I did the partial balconies the first time. I like how the full balcony looks better, but I'm not sure how to solve the problem. Maybe an archway will do the trick.

I like the idea of wrought Iron rails, that should be easy to make.

I prefer maps without grids, but I understand some people want them so I will post with & without when it is done.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

take out the bit that looks like the wall blocking off the ends of the corridors, and put a shadow on the edge of the wood?

(the outer edge that is, that would go over the hallway, instead of looking like the hallways end)
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 01-16-2012 at 01:48 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post

I prefer maps without grids, but I understand some people want them so I will post with & without when it is done.
    Yea, I prefer no grid either since I use VTT(MapTool!!), but even a single square off to the side with a label will help us determine scale while you are building it. Just a guess, but the round room appears to be about 25ft side to side(so 12.4 radius) if one considers a balcony of about 3 ft. But an explicit scale would help use determine that easier....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think this is a lot better now.

Name:	balconyroomtrial.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	374.1 KB 
ID:	41268

Yep.. pretty cool. Don't forget the inner shadow on the walls abutting the balcony planks. You might want to consider having the shadow from the balcony be larger than the ones for the rest of the walls to make it appear "deeper"

The railing looks good. I want to see the whole thing now though! I would also suggest a bit of grunge on the planks and/or reducing the contrast on that layer. At full size, it will be the brightest thing on the map so far so perhaps a bit of darkening would not hurt.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

oh.. btw, did you make the doorways or get them from the DJ forums? Those look nice and it's hard to find perspectivey doorways.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

that works - my only concern was that it looked like a dead end from outside the room.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input.
    @ jfrazierjr: The "doorway" is an arch made by Greytale that I got at Dundjinni. He does great work.

I have been working on the shadows and have almost finished the hidden inner chamber. Can still make changes if you have any other ideas for this section.
    The floor and pit in this room are also by Greytale

Name:	Dungeon101-inner.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	41292
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-17-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast