Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random Dungeon Map - Suggestions needed

Map Random Dungeon Map - Finished

Usually when I make a map I start with an idea like "A Tomb" or "Necromancer's Lab", this time I started by just randomly drawing a floor plan for a dungeon. Now I can't decide what to put in it.
    So I need some ideas or suggestions what this should be. What kind of dungeon does this look like to you?
    When I'm done I'll post 2 high res versions, 1 with a grid, one without.
    Thanks

Here's the basic floorplan:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon101-Draft1.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	830.5 KB 
ID:	40933
    Last edited by Bogie; 01-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Hi!

A nice start.
    I would suggest the octogonal room to be the entrance (from upstair) deserving a guard room that dispatch to two main part of this underground evil temple On the right, a incantation room where fidels stand in circle to incant ; down this room you can have a kind of clerical stuff room where to place equipment for the mass; north to the circular room, you have the Main Cleric office, a small square room where he/she hides books and secret and the bigger rectangular room at north is a secret place where lies the great altar for demonic mass where only him and a few are able to enter and imprecate...
    The left part is a kind of chruch where the north place is the underground cathedral with a hidden treasure room and the "triangle" room is a place where to pray when mass are over. The main corridor from the guard room to the church is for prayer while the small corridor is for officers to enter the cathedral from the transept.
    I don't know what lies in the darker place of this underground evil temple, i.e. the strange room with no entrance (magic portal) ?

Regards,

Ann

Thanks for the ideas, evil temple it is.
    Here's some rep for being so helpful!

Now I have to decide on the walls and floor textures. should I use 1 tile for all floors or different in each room?

Stick with one floor tile for all areas that were built at the same time, especially main rooms. Secret passages would probably not share the same tile, nor would special areas. Flagstones for high traffic areas, marble flooring for areas that are sacred etc. Go nuts on the flooring for that unattached space. Thanks for sharing so much on so many different threads!

You're welcome, I have tons of art and maps that I have posted on the Dunjinnin Forums, and several other sites, so it is easy to post them again here, although I've already seen many maps here that have already been using my stuff, so some of the Guild members have found a lot of it.
    This map is brand new, and hasn't been posted anywhere else.

Thanks for the tips on the floor tiles. I should get some more done on it this weekend, but I do have a game to run Saturday.

I finally got around to doing a bit more work on the map. I changed the walls and floors, more or less following the advice I received. I added a few elements to start dressing up the map. The grey background is temporary, I am looking for a good background to put the map on.

Name:	dungeon101-3.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	741.1 KB 
ID:	41142

How does one enter this place? What is the population(ie, does it need a few more smaller rooms for sleeping, food prep, midden, etc?) I think putting one or more rooms (or sections) "sunken" would give it a bit of pop to stand out. Perhaps even balcony around one of the rooms(the circle one perhaps?)... anyway, just some ideas for ya.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The entrance will either be the dead end corridor on the left side or the bottom of the hexagonal room.

I could easily add some living quarters to the odd shaped room lower left corner.

I like the balcony idea for the round room, have to see what I can do.

I can't decide which of 2 balconies I like better, which one do you like?

Name:	BalconyTrial.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	539.2 KB 
ID:	41242

Well... since i was the one that brought it up, I was actually thinking of a full room balcony...Given the cost of the tile in the main temple room, I would say this place is a bit on the upscale side... i so, go with the marble. of course, if they spent all their cash on the temple, then go with the simple wood.... Either way, they look good...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast