Thread: Political Map of Etarek (Atlas Style)

Wip Political Map of Etarek (Atlas Style)

I made this map as the second major depiction of Etarek, a world I am building slowly.

It's a basic atlas style map, mostly for the purposes of creating and naming all the nations on the planet. It is a companion to this physical map of Etarek. Hopefully the two look good together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Etarek Political Map.jpg 
Views:	1987 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	40982

Comments and criticisms are very welcome. I recognise that the projection is completely wrong, but at least it gives the general idea of the countries' placements. I may well redo these two maps in a better projection one day, but my next step is to work on some regional maps. I have actually nearly finished the first one, focusing on the southern area of Renakhna (see physical map).

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

The main problem is that it looks (from the shape of the continents) like a Hobo-Dyer or maybe a Gall-Peters, but the Lat/long lines look like they were lifted from an equirectangular. of course, it could still be accurate, but the continents would be a bit extremely shaped. for a pod summary of maps, see this interesting chart.

Could you provide a description of the tech levels and maybe some major historical events in this world?
    This cavern is below all, and is the foe of all. It is hatred, without exception. This cavern knows no philosophers; its dagger has never cut a pen. Its blackness has no connection with the sublime blackness of the inkstand. Never have the fingers of night which contract beneath this stifling ceiling, turned the leaves of a book nor unfolded a newspaper.

It's equirectangular. I just CANNOT BE BOTHERED to start again and do it in a good projection to be honest. It took ages.

That chart is brilliant. Really quite amusing.

Etarek is a high-tech world. It was colonised after a supernova destroyed all the inhabited known worlds. Only a few million people escaped on huge exodus ships. This is around 400-500 years on from colonisation and it's a horrible war-torn planet. I have lots of detail on it but I'm still working on it. Basically, because the huge colonising ships were administrated by bigots, religious fundamentalists and evil capitalists, the world they set up is not a particularly harmonious one.
    Last edited by laevex_esre; 01-05-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: A fuller reply was needed.

I might redo both of these maps in a better projection. FTPro doesn't do Winkel Tripel though does it? Any suggestions?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected

Could you replace the long/lat chart with a different one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laevex_esre View Post
    I might redo both of these maps in a better projection. FTPro doesn't do Winkel Tripel though does it? Any suggestions?
    Since you're starting from Equidistant Cylindrical, NASA's G.Projector tool would work. http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/