Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** January 2012 Challenge - Diorama building ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default *** January 2012 Challenge - Diorama building ***

As winter cold sweep the lands what better way to spend your time than with participating in a friendly challenge in the best guild on the web
    January challenge requires some old fashioned crafting, a challenge with NO computer assistance.

You are challenged to make a map by hand but in 3D. You could use anything you wanted, legos, paper, clay, milk cartons, resin, bones and skulls just as long as the only thing you use the computer for is uploading the picture of your creation.

It is allowed to use the computer to stitch together several pictures of your map into one if you want to show details or different angels, also considering most people don't have professional cameras at their disposal, simple photo corrections (like brightness etc) is also allowed - but no real editing of the image, like texturing or matte painting.

Some examples:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	320px-York_Castle_diorama.JPG 
Views:	698 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	41023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lego_star_wars_diorama_4.jpg 
Views:	3530 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	41024
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:York_Castle_diorama.JPG
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4018289...7607412386119/

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules.

This challenge will end on the 30th of January. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.
    Last edited by tilt; 01-06-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Hah, I have to say I've always conidered building something like this. I have absolutely no skill whatsoever with modelling, but I may as well try
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

Those of us who own Heroscape might have a slight advantage.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ah well, there's always February. I salute those of you brave enough to try this.

You mean all that crap I've been collecting in my cupboard can actually be used for something, *blink blink... woot! I like the idea.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

As I was pulling out all my dusty old Heroscape pieces, I realized that anyone tempted to enter this challenge would likely already have something similar already owned. No one without one would enter, unless they were *really* dedicated, or really psyched up. So there really isn't any advantage for having Heroscape or another - the other contestants likely have something like it.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I will probably pass on that one. My desk is already a mess even without a diorama in progress on it...
    If I decide to join it will probably a split second decision when I find a few hours of unplanned time in between.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

come on Diamond and EP - you know you want to

never heard of Heroscape - but I just googled it - it looks cool ... personally I've been thinking of what to do and today I decided buying a wooden board - so ground done *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

octopod, this is a paper and glue and wood and whatever contest, no digital one...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast