Thread: How do YOU create various resolutions of the same map?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do YOU create various resolutions of the same map?

For example, a world map and a zoomed in regional map showing greater detail.

My first instinct is to create one huge map at the regional resolution and then just shrink down the world version. Obviously there could be some issues such as rivers no longer showing and so forth but it would ensure everything was in the exact right location. Possibly some of the features could become muddled however.

Then I thought, well, perhaps draw the original coastlines and shrink that down and then fill in all the stuff you want to show on the world map. The problem there is the challenge of placing the mountains and everything else in the exact locations as the regional maps would later show with greater detail. This seems like twice the work since you would be drawing the same area features in two different resolutions. That seems less than efficient unless you just want two entirely different looking styles in which case it's not a big deal.

I would love to hear how others have handled this.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-06-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt