Thread: Sketch style Trees & Villages clip art and how to do forest fills

Default Sketch style Trees & Villages clip art and how to do forest fills

I'm just starting out and had a couple questions if you wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. I was looking for sketch style trees and villages similar to those found in Campaign Cartographer Symbol Set 1:

http://www.mapventures.com/ (example harabar)

and Annual 2011's Jon Roberts Overland style
    http://sub.profantasy.com/2011/

Anyone know where I can find this type of clipart for free? I did a google search but no luck. Most don't fit the fantasy style I'm going for.

2. Second question is how do I create forest fills like those on the Jon Roberts Overland maps? Is there a PhotoShop or other tutorial you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, welcome to the CG, wisp.

1. There are some good brush sets both here and on Deviant Art that have decent trees/forests in them, especially StarRaven's set(s). If you have a graphics program (heck, even just Paint), it's fairly easy to use them. Ultimately though, the best advice I can give is to learn to draw your own. It's great using other folks' brushes or clipart (as long as you have permission), but eventually you want a style all your own. Of course, the level of artistic ability differs from person to person, but I really think just about anyone can learn to draw a decent tree or mountain. It just takes patience and perseverance.

2. Someone here at the Guild invented a program called The Tree Thing, and I cannot for the life of me remember who it is, but if you do a search for 'tree thing', you should find it. It might be just what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your advice and for welcoming me to the forum Diamond.

I have an artistic eye, but music is my main art. I've always loved fantasy maps and play D&D. I was contemplating a story and thought I'd create the map first. I have Photoshop CS3 and have gone through two entire video tutorials so far with some encouraging results. I think I might be able to figure out a forest texture with the clouds filter.

However as far as the actual hand drawing; I haven't drawn since I was young so I don't think I'd be able to draw as well as that. I'm very amateur at drawing. I think I have it in me but it will take time to unlock. I have tried some trees but they aren't as good. I'll keep practicing and see what I come up with. I did find some nice free clipart ones that can be used freely. I thought there might be a fantasy art depository or something of that sort somewhere I didn't know about. Something like symbol catalogs.

I searched the tree thing and found this tool which I tried. It's pretty neat:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...9-forest-maker