Thread: Help detailing mountain ranges for a map

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Help Help detailing mountain ranges for a map

Here is the map in question:

http://abstractality.deviantart.com/#/d4lpyoe

I just need help finding the best places for mountains, and help designing the mountain symbols. Shouldn't be too hard, and the artist will be recognized for his/her help in the final product, if he/she chooses. Just fit the style of the map however you see fit.

Thanks in advance.
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

Hi, as for the symbols, there are many in the mapping element thread (link). I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful mountain symbols to be found there. As for positioning the mountains, maybe this tutorial can help you out (a bit technical but it explains the basics of how mountains are formed I think). cheers!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Murtauh's Avatar

Thanks for the assistance. What's your opinion on how I'm currently doing it? (link)

Oh, and on a side note you tutorials on fantasy-maps.com are awesome.
    ~Ardias Avenaerus, High King of Thocaea

thanks and I must say the map is coming together nicely. I would personally make the mountains a little bigger or use a mountain brush that has less detail and heavier lines (as the coastline and other items are a bit 'heavy' compared to the mountains). But I guess it depends on the final size you want to display the map in. If you want a large detailled map I would make the coastline/borders less heavy lines and maybe apply a more detailled parchment texture .... anyway, just my thoughts... cheers, DJ

I agree, the coastline is a bit heavy compared to the rivers and mountains. The font might be a bit hard to read, but if you're going for an olde and mediaeval feel to it, it's fine.