Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arial combat game...

Default Arial combat game...

This thread is definitely off track as maps go but I think someone here has the info I can't seem to find anywhere else. After checking out the thread "roleplayers" I remembered a game that was similar to Circus Maximus. The game consisted of two books that simulated arial dogfightng circa WWI. Each players book consisted of a set of drawn images of a plane either in front or behind you as you flew through the air. Bank left, turn to page 120, bank right, turn to page 56, pull the trigger if your enemy is in front of you go to page 87 etc. The game books were old when my friend first showed them and played with them with me. How old I can't say. The books were in good shape, but not new. I would love to find the name of that game. Tried google, bing
    e-bay... nothing. Does this ring a bell with any of the other gamers here?

Knew something didn't look right. Aerial game, like above the ground and in the air. Measure twice, cut once. oh well.

Ace of Aces? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_...ure_book_game) )

I was hoping for typography combat when I saw the title, but it was not to be...

I do not have the WWI version of this game, but I do have two Star Wars variants - one a lightsaber combat between Luke and Vader, the other a space duel between an X-wing and TIE fighter. That second one may be extremely similar to the WWI book.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Merry New Year. Thanks for the quick response and sorry for my late follow up. I was knee deep in the holidays and am just getting back into things again now. lol on typography combat.. font vs. font ... fight! Times New Roman, finish him. That was the perfect link and the link at the bottom of the wikipage was even better. Rep. It was exactly what I was looking for.
    The game was probably quite new when I played it, just made to look old. (it did a good job ) I'm amazed at how much it would cost to get my hands on a copy now. Thanks again.

I used to love playing Aces of Aces in the 80s. Of course then we used to dream of a computer game which was a flight sim where you could fly against real people and then that happened and many hours of my life were then lost in 'Aces High' and other WW2 online MM flight sims....

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

I used to play Aces as well as the Dragonriders of Pern version where you work as a team to fight thread.

Wonder if anyone has come up with an eBook version of those yet.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Quote Originally Posted by maxsdaddy View Post
    This thread is definitely off track as maps go but I think someone here has the info I can't seem to find anywhere else. After checking out the thread "roleplayers" I remembered a game that was similar to Circus Maximus. The game consisted of two books that simulated arial dogfightng circa WWI. Each players book consisted of a set of drawn images of a plane either in front or behind you as you flew through the air. Bank left, turn to page 120, bank right, turn to page 56, pull the trigger if your enemy is in front of you go to page 87 etc. The game books were old when my friend first showed them and played with them with me. How old I can't say. The books were in good shape, but not new. I would love to find the name of that game. Tried google, bing
    e-bay... nothing. Does this ring a bell with any of the other gamers here?
    I created a map of WW1 trenches and no man's land for someone running a Blue Max game at a Con. I placed big hexes on the map based on the turning rules and the size of the biplane toys he was using for miniatures. That map is somewhere on this site - I think the General Forum, but I posted it a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Ace of Aces? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_...ure_book_game) )

I was hoping for typography combat when I saw the title, but it was not to be...
    Yeah I was looking forward to see Arial vs. Century Schoolbook in a death match - oh well, its the not first misspelling that made me think it wasn't something else.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Big hexes and mini biplanes? That sounds pretty sweet! We played Ace of Aces, Circus Maximus and other games we considered "light" prior to digging in to weekend long D&D roleplaying. My friends parents were super accomodating, we would sleep over and wake up the next day to discuss the previous nights game and prep for the new days game. Marathon gaming. I'm off now to see if there really is some game for typographical combat. If not, I know what I'll be thinking about for the rest of the weekend. BTW Arial could kick Century Schoolbook's butt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast