Thread: Pirate Islands [WIP]

Guild Apprentice

Default Pirate Islands [WIP]

I bought myself a Wacom tablet and thought I'd try my hand on some hand drawn mapping.

I'm aiming for something which may have been drawn by a pirate captain.

But right now I'm a bit stumped as to how to draw cliffsides. I'm thinking a landscape something like this: http://www.destination360.com/europe...s-of-moher.jpg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Detail1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	41263

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Welcome to the wonderful world of tablets! once you've gone tablet you can never go back

I know some of Ascension's maps show some great canyons, you could prolly adapt that by showing just one side.. - Butcher, Baker and That Other guy comes to mind..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well as you have already gone for hand-drawn mountains, you could try something along these lines:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cliffexample.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	41264  

Guild Apprentice

Slow going. I don't have much time.
    Here is some progress. Because it's so long between my sessions, I think I each mountain range differently.
    The trees are an imitation of Ramah's trees, but I think I'll have to go for something more alike the mountains, with hard lines and shading.
    But I'm really happy with the cliffs.

I'm a little tempted to color the mountains...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirate1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	42426

I did a cliffside on a commission some time back linked here that might give you some ideas. You would want to change the base to water if you want it to match the image you posted.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Those are, indeed, very nice cliffs! However, something about the large island with mountains seems a little weird -- there's not really a transition between the mountains and sea level. Are you planning any sort of cliff there or some lower hills to ease into the sea level?