Thread: The Provinces of Baelor

Guild Novice

Wip The Provinces of Baelor

Most of my maps are hand drawn and never see the light of day online, but this time decided to scan my linework in and see what happens. I've been following Ascension's Antique Map tutorial, though I'm straying away and trying my own ideas out the further along I go. Any critique is welcome as I'm pretty new at this. I'm struggling to decide how do to the mountains (the large empty space on the left) and I'm at a loss for how to texture my landmasses so that they don't look so stark. None of the mountain brushes I have seem suitable so I will most likely draw those by hand as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baelor antique small.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	41099

You've got a nice look there, but you need to read http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place. Short version - rivers don't split like that. Your river island is probably okay - unusual, but possible - assuming the scale is right. Just be aware such features are unusual.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the tip, and sorry for the resurrection...I don't come here as often as I should. Your suggestion deals with what I'm struggling with the most--making my rivers and coastlines realistic for the scale of the map.