Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A World Map

Wip A World Map

During the holidays I found an old map I made some years ago (at least 5, but I can't really remember) that I had made for a role-playing game. Since the game never got past the map-making step, I decided to put it to good use. I've been working on a different setting and I thought I could really make use of this map.

The original map was hand drawn and damn nearly complete. I had already named most of the towns and stuff, primary roads were on the map, and primary sailing routes were there too. I did the original coastline in Adobe Illustrator, then redid the coastline with the pentool in Photoshop. I used StarRaven's Calligraphic Map Symbols set for the whole thing (looks awesome) but I might change it for something else later.

I'd like to color it, but I'm not really good at making it look like an old map. Any good tutorials you can suggest I have a look at?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realms of Sin.jpg 
Views:	1470 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	41108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistral.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	41107

By suggestion, I fixed the rivers somewhat. Admittedly, they are still not perfect but I think I've made a huge improvement. Also a closer look at Mistral to see a closer view of the new river style.

Name:	Realms of Sin v2.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	41181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistral v2.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	41182

I would warn you that your rivers are splitting in the wrong direction. As rivers flow towards the sea they tend to come together into single flows - except in river deltas, which are exceptional occurences.

There is no pleasing some people

Only joking. I appreciate every and all comments, specially since I don't know much about rivers

So rather than split them up I should join them together as it gets closer to the sea? I'll have another look at this when I get the chance and hopefully I can avoid the attention of the River Police

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Might be this will help you with the rivers?

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...he-right-place

Quote Originally Posted by Skari-dono View Post
    There is no pleasing some people

Only joking. I appreciate every and all comments, specially since I don't know much about rivers

So rather than split them up I should join them together as it gets closer to the sea? I'll have another look at this when I get the chance and hopefully I can avoid the attention of the River Police
    Nobody can avoid the attention of the River Police!!!

Keep working though, it's a good start!

-Rob A>

I... wasn't actually expecting someone who is actually referred to as the River Police. I thought this was something like a grammar nazi or something.

Anyway, I've done some improvements to the map (I hope). I simplified most of the rivers, but I want to keep them multiplied near Mistral since that is sorta a thing there.

I replaced most of the map with other brushes (still keeping to StarRaven's brushes since they are awesome). I forgot to fix the roads before saving so I will do that soon enough. I have two versions here: one with a background and one without. I don't know if I'll keep the background or do some coloring, or perhaps both. For now, this'll do.

Again, close-ups of Mistral for both versions.

Name:	Realms of Sin v4.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	41344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistral v4.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	41345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Realms of Sin v3.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	693.7 KB 
ID:	41346Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mistral v3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	41347

P.S.: I intend to rename Shinton/Isanbul later on and hopefully find something that does not sound as awful. I don't know what it is, it just doesn't sound right.
    Last edited by Skari-dono; 01-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.

I recommend Shinbul or Isanton ... or flip them again and go for Bulshin and Tonisan ... or ... anyway, the weirdest rivers are east of Mistral, where they just branch around like mad. Water doesn't really tend to do that .

Otherwise, it looks nice.

True and not, there are plenty of examples where they do branch around, although I admit that mine might be a bit of an extreme example. There are in fact several rivers here in Iceland that do behave like this, usually splitting up at one point and joining again at another. This might be due to some landscape feature that is no longer there, such as ice. Admittedly, I did wa-ay too much of this previously, but I don't think I need to fix any of the remaining rivers any further. But thanks for the input.

I like your suggestion of Shinbul and I think I will yoink that one if you don't mind

I was just about to say that possibly the terrain you have in Iceland, with massive run-off from ice sheets over relatively flat areas, results in forking rivers. Likewise I'm personally very familiar with terrain that is probably ridiculously mountainous to someone from, say, the eastern two thirds of the USA and don't think much of sticking buildings on 45° slopes .

Anyway - the way rivers behave on Earth doesn't matter at all, as long as you have a *reason* for it (it's a fictional world after all) ... although it's good to have a better reason than "MAGICK" (little stars and unicorns fly around singing).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast