Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the Mines - a dungeon map in 3/4 perspective

Blog Entries

Map Into the Mines - a dungeon map in 3/4 perspective

I have been killing two birds with one stone: developing a dungeon map for my new campaign, and working out a reproducible system for creating dungeon maps in iso. This is related to an earlier submission--the Lost Mines of Odo Stoneheart. Look for a tutorial (sooner or later). Each room has a picture of the monster(s) in it. Yes, the dungeon is over-packed and the viability of these life forms will be challenging to rationalize, but I've always been from the (original) Keep on the Borderlands school, the module I started with in 1979: load up a dungeon with a bunch of interesting and challenging monsters and let the players work their way through them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mines of Odo Stoneheart.jpg 
Views:	5605 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	41452
    Last edited by Immolate; 01-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

What a challenge Immolate!!!Great color theme I would say.
    However excellent battlefield to dungeons.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Love the style, idea, and execution. Very clean. I'd love to see this blown up to like 3 foot by 4 foot and laminated so players could mark it up I've done a similar 3d isometric view in some of my maps, but your is much cleaner and probably works out mathematically. Keep it up!

Looks excellent but the rooms feel a bit empty. I'm sure you add a lot of stuff in your gaming notes, but the rooms look more like battlegrounds to me and less like actual rooms that used to have a purpose. If you could add a table (or something) or two, that would be cool I think. On the other hand, I might be wrong.

looks cool! How did you create it (sketchup?) I like the idea to create rooms (as components) in sketchup and stich them together for some fast dungeon generation (or wasn't that the plan?) cheers, DJ

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

I agree with Skari-dono, add some tables, chairs, and misc stuff. Also the furniture could be a bit more refined, right now it looks a litle digitized and out of place to me. Just my 2 cents.

~Jared

Guild Adept

I love this map. I also like the cleanliness of the map, because as a GM I prefer not to have piles of stuff laying around. But mostly, its the perspective I love.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that, from an art + appeal perspective, it would be better with more props. Because I'm planning to do a dozen or so of them, however, I'm trying to only add critical features, and those only when they won't obscure the center of the room. If this were for a monthly contest or what have you, I'd have done just that.

Djekspek - it's all Photoshop. I didn't want to make it so complicated that others couldn't use my methods.
    ----------

Very nice. It's all retro. I'm drowning in nostalgia. And the rooms are numbered which is always a plus. Plus it's decorated with arcane circles brushes by redhead stock. Where did you get the spiffy monsters?

Blog Entries

The monsters were lifted (with some pain) from their corresponding pictures in the bestiaries from Pathfinder.

I've discovered after creating the tutorial that setting the wall and door layers to "darker color" makes for a very pleasant (and more readable) presentation. Edited.

You can find the tutorial here.
    ----------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast