Thread: Goonies Map

Default Goonies Map

I am sure this is a common request, but I am looking for as good a replica as possible of the map in the Goonies movie - highlighted here : http://www.propandartifact.com/main.html

I ideally would like to make it myself, but I have no clue where to begin. No idea where to get vellum and no clue how to do the 'burning technique'

I understand that this would be quite a bit a work and I very willing to pay a fair price.

Thanks

There was a guy here (I think he was Scandinavian) who made amazing replica LOTR maps...have a look through the forums, see if you can find him and shoot him a private message, although you have to have posted 5 messages on the boards to send PMs (anti botspam measure). Just post any old rubbish in this thread to bring your post count to five and then you'll be good to go.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm sure a google search will get you many leads on where to get vellum. The next thing is aging; lots of tutorials around the web, and here, for that. The burns take some practice to get right, just use a lighter and control the burn closely. The hardest part is drawing it out by hand after all of that setup work has already been done. If you draw then do the aging the ink will fade out too much because the aging techniques are artificial and we don't have time to sit around for centuries while the paper turns brown. The hardest part is learning to draw if you don't already know how. So I would practice a bunch on regular paper until you can draw things just the way you want and age them and burn them correctly then go get the vellum once you have gotten really good. This could take some time to achieve.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I may be able to help you. I sell a Goonies Map Replica that I have drawn digitally and press printed. A lot of research and hours of work went into getting the the lettering and other elements just right. This could be a great help if you are trying to recreate a more authentic looking one on your own. Check out my map site at: http://www.gooniesmap.com