Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WiP] Grünwyrm

Default [WiP] Grünwyrm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Svet Zelenograjski-01.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	41150

I'm fiddling around with my campaign setting and have finally started working on the setting map. Here's a vectorous stab at it ... but I'm tempted to make the whole thing even more abstract (i.e. simple triangles for mountains, shallower triangles for hills) ... or maybe a faux-relief map for the base ... Or maybe I should drag the land areas into Photoshop for editing and then return to Illu for the labelling. Choices, choices ...

Cool start. How did you do those latitude lines?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenor View Post
    Cool start. How did you do those latitude lines?
    I guess LukC used Inkscape or Illustrator. There you can draw lines and rotate/copy them as you like, same is with the circles which can be changed in size as you like.

Yup - vector editing software with layers. It's a fun distraction when what you thought was just a cold turns into the flu.

I tried working on the terrain in PS, but I was *very* dissatisfied with my results guess I'll keep it vectorous.

Blog Entries

It's at one of the poles?

Yes, it is. Probably the South pole, from what I recall of when I started worldbuilding this setting. I studied the temperature and climate conditions on Earth during the late Cretaceous and the poles had warm and cool temperate climatic conditions. I felt it would make a rather interesting setting, with torrid tropics (around 50°C) and mild poles - with, admittedly, 6 month long days and nights! Though I'm still not completely certain how strong an axial tilt to go with ... right now it's approximately the same as the earth's (the dotted line denotes the arctic circle).

Name:	Svet Zelenograjski 2-01.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	556.9 KB 
ID:	41185

I've tried a version with even more discrete mountains and hills and a doodled in area of the Golden Empire at its Apogee, approximately 130 years ago now (in-game). Maybe I should keep the mountain symbols, but add elevations ... hmm ... although that doesn't work so well without shading. :-/

I like these newer versions of the mountains and hills better that what you had originally. They're easy to read and fit exceptionally well with the whole vector/line art aesthetic you've got going on.

Name:	Svet Zelenograjski 3-01.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	544.0 KB 
ID:	41330

Well, I've tried a few more ridiculously abstract forests ... polka dots! I think this might actually work. Now to make a pattern for the marshes, grasslands, tundra (moar tundra!), ice (blue polka dots! ) .... oooh, maybe I should make little traingles for coniferous forests and mixed triangle - dot polkas for mixed ... yess ...

forests (3 types), tundra, marsh, grassland, ice, sand/dirt/barren ... hmmm what else do I need?

Hmm ... on second thought, I'm going to make all the forests have a uniform polkadot density ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast