Thread: Volcano Island

Map Volcano Island

Its not in the manner of ancient maps but then I'm currently trying to get realism .

Here's a volcano Island for you though.

I added a small settlement as far away from the volcano as I could.

I should also add that I can take no credit for creating the volcano or the smoke. (Wish I could)

Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.

This is nifty! That smoke cloud certainly adds a lot of interest to the map--although it also does what you say: creates a level of realism, although that level is approaching photographic level vs. the representational level of a map. This will change when & if roads, cities, labels and such are added, of course.

Nifty test run! The oceans could use more detail to complete the effect, but I like what you have done so far. Good work.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Blog Entries

Awesome - really dynamic.

The smoke has some shadow and 3D relief effect on them. If you could get that on the island then I think the texture as it stands is good enough. Then the two would blend better and look more real - or lets say the island would come up to the level of realism of the smoke.

You can just hear the groans after a DM says... You are disembarking on this island - so get your fire protection out.

Nice effect on the island and smoke, Sigurd!

I would also suggest changing the ocean so the deeper colours represent deeper water. Volcanic islands tend to be the tops of tall mountains, and outside of a small coastal lava shelf, tend to drop of quite steeply, and even have additional small undersea ridges back in the direction the shelf is moving from.

-Rob A>

Post Hex Grid Island

This is more game friendly. Its a larger map so I've put it as a link.

http://wm23.inbox.com/thumbs/26_9faa...8_oP.png.thumb

I'm still feeling elements out. Especially, stuff that requires consistent measurements. I'm not really happy with the elevation lines but its better than nothing.

RobA - I hear you about the ocean. Its precisely because its a game map and because its volcanic that I'll probably skip the ocean physical layer. Most of the water would be deep "enough" and this way the DM can add just by putting an x on the map.

Thanks for the compliment on the smoke. As I said before that is lifted from a news story. It stands out because its real. (Not a bad thing but not a reliable or flexible thing either )

This is a zoom of the City. Could serve as the basis for a city map (The next step I think).

If I don't get any information from Hans our new Dutch member I'll put a city together next week. Anyone wanting a crack at the city is welcome, just remember its living in the shadow of an active volcano - not the most prudent site for large buildings .

-Sigurd
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-25-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Sigurd, I've send you a pm with some information.

Hi Sigurt how is it going with the map?